hi from szaxe

Moderators: HPC, Daven

szaxe

hi from szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Hi from szaxe.

I have spent a long time searching and pondering on whether to buy a cnc laser cutter or router. Finding a company that has, what appears to be a solid reputation among the most credible critics, its customers (they don't get paid a commission like reviewers), I finally decided to sign up here while deciding on a purchase, hopefully after some advice from those with experience.

I will eventually need a router but while still in a development stage I consider that a laser may be a better start, the noise concern being the deciding factor. The problem is I don't want to immediately rent a workshop so will have to work from home and don't want to annoy neighbors.

I was hoping to spend no more than £3500 on a laser but I am slowly realizing that extras, such as fume extraction can equal or even surpass the cost of the actual laser .... not only the cost but they appear to be noisy. Not as noisy as a router but noisy enough to cause problems in a flat. Venting outdoors is not an option, too many neighbors would complain.

I think that is enough quandaries in a hello post :lol:
Spooky

Re: hi from szaxe

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Szaxe

Well you started on the right choice by coming here :)

What are you planning on doing? a router may be a better option depending what the project is?

Noise will always be an issue, even with a laser (but they are one hell of a lot less noisy than a router for sure)

Fume containment isn't a problem, it's not cheap but it's not a problem as such.

cheers

Dave

ps: Welcome aboard ;)
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Hi Spooky,

Thanks for the welcome :)

I know a router will be my best bet, but for now I need to work at home .... the difference in noise volume is important, even if I am forced to make a soundproof enclosure, a router, in my opinion would still be louder than a laser even using a soundproof enclosure.

I am building a wooden game board with wooden pieces so the limitations on the lasers ability to cut the depths I require (or at the costs I can presently contemplate) will be no good, but will be fine for creating a prototype for a Kickstarter campaign. Basically with a laser I can build in layers. Instead of cutting 18mm I could layer 6x3mm and glue them together (no good for an end product but OK for a prototype.

I know tat it would be cheaper to farm out some of the work, but I will be applying for a patent on the action/reaction of one of the parts. Plus I can still use the laser for light engraving work (which I will need) if I go into production.

Would be interested in any advice on fume extraction cost and advice :)
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hello
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

:)
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

in a flat ?
may I suggest getting rid of smoke, might be more costly than getting rid of noise.
Especially for Wood/MDF

oh .. and "soundproof" means what it says on the tin ! lol .. not louder or quieter .. but "soundproofed" :D

as you've considered outsourcing .. still worth thinking about for a prototype . Worst case it would be a non starter and you loose all your investment.

Patents are rarely worth the investment

I get the feeling you are excited about a new project ? .. take a step back and think about it . Listen to others :-)

Best Wishes
Lightnin' :D
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi - welcome ;)

From what you are saying laminating the layers may not look good or would need finishing - the laser has a slight taper so you would not get a nice square edge.

I agree with Lightnin' at least do your research - maybe go and see a laser working at a fablab or HPC which will give you an idea of the amount of smoke it emits!

Cheers
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

I'm with the guys, Patents are fine (I hold 3) but you have to defend them in order to keep them, that's expensive...VERY, and breaking a patent is usually pretty easy (Just as James Dyson).

I'd be tempted to outsource, it can often be cheaper than own manufacture (especially given the CE requirements and toy regulations)

If it takes off and you can go for a unit that's a lot less hastle for sure ;)
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Hi Lightnin, thanks for your input.

Unfortunately "soundproof" doesn't mean what it says on the tin :lol: As a woodwind musician with loud instruments I have spent years on this dilemma ... Even pro "Soundproof" booths costing anything up from £6000 only reduce the noise, so a loud noise becomes acceptable. But what I have heard from viewing youtube videos with people talking with routers, I doubt the results would be acceptable regardless of the soundproofing (Sound reducing which it actually should be called).

From what I have heard from laser cutters (I may be wrong) A 50% decrease in sound would be acceptable I also saw a box made "from the instructables" which effectively brought the sound down to an acceptable level .... plus I already have some very heavy, specialized sound proof material.

I actually thought and built an actual game in the late "70's" while running a pub and did actually produce and sell to other pubs, it was very popular, so no its not a blind excitement ;)

I agree with you outsourcing is a good idea, but I want something to play with :lol: Plus I can experiment.

I also agree patents are rarely worth the investment, however it costs nothing to introduce a patent immediately prior to the launch of the product (as long as its never been made public) and the part I have added hasn't been made public yet. The point being that for the cost of nothing a patent application can be introduced allowing a year to carry the title "Patent Pending".

This also gives a year to decide whether to get the "claims" tightened or added by a decent lawyer or even do a bad full application (with no intention of ever following through) to extend the "Patent Pending" title :)
TimBobTastic

Post by TimBobTastic »

Welcome to the forum

I have a few patents in my name, but only because I have worked for multinational companies that could afford to both pay for and defend the patent.

It's not only the cost of the patent... But the potential cost of defending it, which CAN be orders of magnitude higher than the cost of taking out the patent...

have you considered outsourcing with the protection of a non disclosure agreement? Or even outsourcing to multiple vendors.... So not one vendor knows all of your project....

Good luck with your venture...

As far as extraction goes, I use the BOFA filter, it is reasonably quiet, and allows me to run my machine in the garage without disturbing the neighbours late at night or early in the morning. It has the bonus of not requiring extraction outside.

As others have said, take a step back... if you are not local to HPC maybe a friendly sort from the forum could demonstrate a machine to you... There appears to be a good geographical spread here...
LS3060 PLUS with a 60w tube, Chiller and Bofa filter :-)
Online Store http://www.t2kreations.co.uk
Personal Website... http://www.timbobtastic.com