Hello from new LS3020 owner

Moderators: HPC, Daven

dreamcatcher

Hello from new LS3020 owner

Post by dreamcatcher »

Hello
I am now the proud owner of a LS3020. We've had it for about a month and are having great fun with it. I have learned loads from this forum and it was here that we heard about the 3020. We have been playing around with laser birch ply and trying all different settings with some success. I haven't burned the house down yet! Can anyone share what settings they use please for cutting and engraving birch?

Also can anyone tell me if you can engrave slate on it as I'd like to try some coasters. If so what settings are best. I'm afraid I will damage my new toy. I'm having fun with it but it is much harder to learn than I thought. :?

I'm using Lasercut 5.3 and Inkscape for designs. Thank you very much. Sorry for the newbie questions!
Tom

Re: Hello from new LS3020 owner

Post by Tom »

Hi dreamcatcher
Welcome too the forum
Slate will engrave easy with very little power

Tom
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi - welcome ;)

Birch ply should be around 15 mm/s at 70% power to cut and 200 mm/s at 30% power depending how deep you need it. Scan gap (DPI) setting can make a big difference too depending on what you were engraving (see here).

Engraving slate can take a while to get a deep lasting finish (depending on the slate) but you can also do a light cut on it which works well.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

Thank you very much for the welcome and the advice. I'm off to try those setting you suggested Dave.

Regards
dreamcatcher