Ooooeeerrr now that's fast!

Moderator: Admin

Spooky

Ooooeeerrr now that's fast!

Postby Spooky » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Had to be done, I got fed up waiting for 3d renders to finish when designing plans so started upgrading my work machine :)

2 x Quadro 5000 2560mb cards running on a Gigabyte Z68 board with a 320gb SSD drive caching for the 6 x 2TB sata drives. All poked through 16gb of corsair vengence ram and an i7 2600K processor.

Dam I never realised my old machine had gotten so slow :)

best wishes

dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk

tweakie

Re: Ooooeeerrr now that's fast!

Postby tweakie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:49 am

Sounds like I should put in an offer for your old machine. :lol: :lol:

Tweakie.

PhillyDee

Postby PhillyDee » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:56 am

OMG! Whats that, 3-4K on a work rig? Jesus!

Did you not consider the revodrives?
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)

Spooky

Postby Spooky » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Goes with the job sadly Phil, 3d models (as I'm sure you already know) eat memory and processor cycles :( every model i work on,modify or design from scratch has to be built in 3d before even thinking about flattening down to 2d, the upside is though all my 3d models are 3d printer ready so in 5 years time when they have gotten down to the price of laser cutters I'll already have a good stock of projects for people in the same way i design laser cutter models now :)

I looked at long term business mdoels and the future of laser cutting is going the way I thought it would, A lot of people are finally getting lasers as the prices and availibility get better but the down side is in the future there will be a fair few people looking at lasers and thinking "hey I can buy one and make money" without actually taking into account all the other things that go with it (like actually having a plan to make).As prices fall in time the smaller machines will come down to almost the price of PC laser printers and a fair few people will buy them on a whim,for those who do it for a job it will saturate the market with cheaply cut small laser items until such time as those with no real commitment give up,the worst part is the very ones who give up or have been running hobby businesses will have driven prices down to a point where nobody makes any sensible money.This happened with the metal cutting lasers about 2 years ago, I never even turn mine on now as the price per hour is almost at parity with the running costs per hour and I'f I want to earn £5 an hour I'll go work in Tesco and get a lot less stress :) I've modelled on small lasers having about another 5 years and the bigger models running to around 8 - 10 years before things get too compeditive to bother with, by then zprinters will be in the current laser price range and people buying them will need product :) For lasers Ebay will be the nail in the coffin, too many yingpong machines being sold and more and more people running businesses with no real overheads driving quality laser cutting prices down. Metal cutting work was at £90 an hour 2 years ago, now you can pick it up anywhere are £10 to £15 an hour,that doesn't even cover gas cost on mine :(

If I'm sat waiting for an hour for a render to finish (animation) it's an hour I can't do anything else, all in all it worked out with the ancillaries close to £5k but the speed difference will cover that quite quickly :)

I don't just do laser models, I still take on quite a lot of architectural work and have some clients that don't like to wait. Often I'll have a drawing open for a planning office at the same time as a laser design,that really bogs stuff down :( Although the upside is a recent endorsement for one of my models from a well known personality is already starting to have a knock on effect with the amount of work I have to fit in during the day.
Add in the new website (I may add being very nicely done by Daven) with all the stuff I have to list and test for the shop and my days have got pretty hectic :)
I'm very fortunate to have a great client base and lots of work so I'd be a fool to complain even though sometimes it can get quite exhausting looking at a screen 14 hours a day :(

I did look at Ocz revo's but they didn't have any in stock when I went to Novatech and I didn't have the time to order one online.
I think I have something like 6 base units now from previous upgrades and god knows how many gfx cards :) my house is like a cross between a model shop and PCworld :)

right I better work and stop rambling :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk

PhillyDee

Postby PhillyDee » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:40 pm

:D. I keep gettingcomments like that about my house.

I have 4 pcs, 1 laptop, and now an HP Touchpad.
1 is my Server, 1 main pc, 1 mini itx for the laser, and 1 pc is dedicated to my shop, it will be going in my unit when I end up getting it!

They are all latest tech, apart from my laptop, which is a Dell Inspiron 6400 which is just over 3.5 years old! Still get around 3 hours battery life out of it!

I see what you mean about laser cutters, but until they can be made less complex, using high power laser diodes instead of the current flying optics system, they will remain in the enthusiast only sector. I doubt they would be commonplace until extraction (fumes are dodgy things to have in the house!) and cooling systems are more integrated into the system. The efficiency of the tube would be 1 area to upgrade, as this would help cooling.

I can see 3D printers being a lot moe commonplace than lasers due to the complexitity and maintenance of the systems.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)

Spooky

Postby Spooky » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:18 pm

I used to be a compulsive upgrader Phil but then realised I spent more time building my systems than I did using them :),6 towers, 17 laptops,2 ipads,4 ipod touches, untold DS systems and Xbox's and this place is getting silly :) The oldest item is the Iextreme I was using as a work machine,that was around 9 months old.

I can really see Zprinters being the future, the biggest problem I have with models is trying to compact 3d structures into a 2d environment,curves are a nightmare to model (well to model so they can be cut in 2d anyways) so a 3d printer will easily cope with that. I did look at a big Zcorp from Lucy at Hobarts but the 50K price tag and consumables prices are still above what the market for complete parts will stand :( The powders still haven't really caught up with the technology of the machines) and at 20mm per hour build rates the time involved would make products too expensive, great for prototyping but not for production yet.
I'm sure they will get there soon though with metal loaded powders being the way forward.
Thankfully people on these forums have their heads screwed on and know a bit at least about the machines before they buy them but on other forums you see people buy small lasers without even a basic command of working a desktop PC because the vendor has made all sorts of claims they have believed. I get quite a bit of mail each day from people who have imported direct at £500 and wonder why their machine won't work when they have broken tubes,no water or why their house is filling with smoke because nobody told them it had to be extracted.
I think reliability of the "consumables" has improved on some of the expensive machines like Epilogs but to get a machine near the size of the one I have would cost in excess of £50K so I don't mind having to make a few adjustments now and then, £40k covers a LOT of adjustments ;)
The biggest improvement I am working on for the machines is a twin lens system to straighten out the final cutting beam,that will increase efficiency by 60% or more from the numbers I have done so far,but again it's getting cost/effect right before taking something like that to market.

There is some nice new ideas comming out though, Peter on here does some class items using his machine that I haven't seen done elsewhere...so long as there are forward thinking people like him the market will stay boyant.

Strangely enough other than one product I don't actually cut anything these days for sale, all my cutting is testing the plans I sell.Theres a lot of downloadable plans floating round on the net but many of them don't actually fit together properly without quite a bit of modification.Some of the vendors of premade plans charge silly amounts of money!! £80 for a plan you are only allowed to cut out once?? and then aren't allowed to sell the actual item itself!! another one sells scanned and vectorised instructions from woodcraft kits! I bought a few to see what the competition was like and was amazed when none of it fitted together. Imagine if I'd cut 1000 for sale only to find I'd cut 1000 sets of scrap! That's when I came up with the "if it don't fit you don't pay" idea :)

Even now though I'm still transfixed by watching the machine cut something out with a beam of light :)

Guess I better get this Limo model finished :)

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk

Return to “Off Topic”