My little bit of history.

Moderator: Admin

tweakie

My little bit of history.

Postby tweakie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:59 am

This is the heart of an Auxiliary Power Unit once fitted in a Vulcan Bomber. Its main purpose was to provide the aircraft's electrical needs whilst on the ground and prior to starting the main engines but it could also be used in flight, in an emergency, as the back-up electrical source. The Vulcan was perhaps the forerunner for the current "Fly by Wire" system as it's duplicated set of control surfaces were all electrically operated.
This is my little bit of history which is currently undergoing some TLC and although its airborne days are over, it will run again - much to the delight of my neighbors within a 3 mile radius.
The 30 KVA alternator is powered by a 60 horsepower, single shaft, gas turbine engine which has much historical ancestry and was built by the Rover Car Company, with this particular unit constructed around 1967.
This is the same basic engine that was used in Rover’s “JET 1” gas turbine powered car which was road tested at the Silverstone race track in Northampton back in 1950. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/8/newsid_2516000/2516271.stm
The rest of the mighty Vulcan may now have gone for scrap but this little apu, at least, will remain functional and live on for another generation at least.

Tweakie.
Attachments
eng1.jpg
(61.29 KiB) Downloaded 764 times

Daven

Re: My little bit of history.

Postby Daven » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:11 am

Excellent. Someone told me a story about a plan spotter who ignored warnings at an airfield where the Vulcan used to take off - one day a pilot took off a bit low and then headed for the sky like a homesick angel and toasted the car - dunno if it was true :lol:

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC

tweakie

Postby tweakie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:22 am

I don't think I would want to be anywhere near the business end of 4 Olympus engines running at full power but perhaps it's a risky hobby being a plane spotter. :lol:

Tweakie.

PhillyDee

Postby PhillyDee » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:25 am

I would argue against its airborne days being over . . . .
There is 1 operational Vulcan left in the world, it does airshows. Say it at last years Sunderland Airshow, it is an incredible machine! We were on the cliff where it was doing a banking turn, the size and power and scale of thing was just unbeliveable. Really difficult to convey the impressions of it to be honest!
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)

tweakie

Postby tweakie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:45 am

This would be the XH558 - certainly worth going to see if you get the chance.
The group who own this aircraft raised 6 million pounds (with 2.7 million coming from lottery funds)for the 3 year refit to get it back to airworthy in 2007 and they estimate it will cost a further 1.6 million pounds per year to keep it flying until it permanently retires in 2022.

Tweakie.

Malj

Postby Malj » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Guys just read your stories/thoughts about Vulcans, my father in law ( sadly RIP) was an avionics engineer and worked on Vulcan's a well as many other aircraft, he loved aircraft and worked all over the world servicing them and keeping them in the air.
Funny thing! he worked in Changi Singapore and would tell stories about this. My lad joined the British army and did did basic at Bassingborn Cambridge, on a parents day for passing out we went down, he had passed away by then, but at the training camp is the lych gate from Changi airport that was rescued after the withdrawal from Singapore and shipped back to the UK,it was like he was with us on that day..............sorry bit of waffle but thought i might share with you .

Mal
Currently experimenting with a 6840

Return to “Off Topic”