Grey Open Cell Foam

Moderators: HPC, Daven

izzysdaddy

Grey Open Cell Foam

Post by izzysdaddy »

Afternoon

Have any of you laser users ever laser cut open cell foam. This type of foam is found in flight cases. I have an enquiry to get 25mm thick grey open cell foam profiles cut. Qty 14 in total to go inside a acrylic display box. The foam keeps valuable electronic switches in place. Or if anyone knows someone who cuts foam profiles with a hot wire. Thank you.

Stuart
owner of a LS1290
HMan

Re: Grey Open Cell Foam

Post by HMan »

Hi Stuart,

I've done tests with closed cell sheets before and they cut no problem. I had to fiddle with the settings until I got it right in my initial tests but i've not recorded them since this was at the time of the demo I had from HPC. Like most things you need to check first of all whether these materials you are going to put in the laser machine are safe for lasering, as in won't catch fire and won't give off poisonous fumes and then you need to just go ahead and test cut some until you get the right kind of cut that doesn't melt too much around the design you're trying to cut out.

As the supplier where you bought the foam from how they cut it or if its safe for being lasered. I asked my supplier and they said yes but couldn't vouch for the adhesive which in the end turned out to be safe.

H Man