Looking to upgrade 'air assist' - Question about duty cycle

Moderators: HPC, Daven

MysteryMachine

Looking to upgrade 'air assist' - Question about duty cycle

Post by MysteryMachine »

Hi there,

I am looking to upgrade my air assist from the standard HPC pump to something that offers a faster/more powerful flow and also that I will have more control over via a regulator.

I'm now getting more and more confused as to what will be the most suitable? I hear people mention silent compressors such as the Bambi but these are listed as a 50% duty cycle with a 30 min run and 30 min cooling off. Does this mean they are only suitable for jobs that will run for 30 mins or less? I do a lot of work where the machine is running for two hours at a time, sometimes more.

I figured the compressor will only be running to fill the reservoir then shutting off until the pressure drops enough for it to come on again. Is the amount of flow needed for the laser low enough that the compressor is running less than 50% of the time? Basically are these suitable for running on a 2+hr job if the compressor isn't running permanently?

I was looking at this kind of thing: https://www.airsupplies.co.uk/bambi-pt1 ... compressor

Does anyone have any input on the whole duty cycle thing regarding laser use?

Also, lubricated or oil free? Does one have a benefit over another?

Many thanks for your time and any advice you can offer.
Daven

Re: Looking to upgrade 'air assist' - Question about duty cycle

Post by Daven »

Dave (Spooky) wrote this a few years back http://oplaser.co.uk/opsupport/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49

I have the Silent Titan (edited) compressors and they are oil free.

You do not need much more pressure to be honest - but you do need good air flow. Mine run for hours turning on and off - I have tweaked the cut-in and cut-out a bit so they cut-in and out a bit quicker.

They are not silent and about the same as the standard pumps but the fact they switch off at least gives you a break.

Best
Dave
Last edited by Daven on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
MysteryMachine

Post by MysteryMachine »

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your response and the link to Spooky's post.

Regarding your compressor, please could I ask for further details? (make/model?) I've tried looking it up but only seem to get results for electric showers! Is it a Titan by any chance? Again, if so, please could you tell me which model?

I'm guessing from your comment that it's been fine to use on long jobs? If so, this is good news and I figured if it's off as much as it's on (while using the air in the reservoir) then it's pretty much happy to run indefinitely?

If it is possible to share which model you have I'll probably just get one because I'd rather buy from a recommendation than anything. Oh, and the noise side of things doesn't bother me too much because it's in an old barn with stables next door so always plenty of noise going on. :D

Many thanks again,

Bruce.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Bruce,
Sorry yes it is Titan - I have a 22l and a 30l.

I started with one for both machines but then got the 30l Not much between them to be honest.

Yes the pump runs for say two minutes and then cuts out and then 10 or 15 minutes later comes back on - not timed it so don't hold me to it!

They were being used for 6 hours today and around 7 yesterday! I do shut the valves of if I am fiddling about setting up the next job but sometime don't bother! Definitely recommend them from http://sm-t.co.uk/air-compressors/

I would say that if you have space get the largest reservoir you can afford.

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
MysteryMachine

Post by MysteryMachine »

Hi Dave,

Thank you for all the useful info. It's good to hear that the flow is low enough for the compressor to be operating for approx 20-30% of the time. Under normal circumstances I'd probably go for the 30l model, but seeing as the 22l is over £100 cheaper at the moment I think I'll go for one of those (they are currently reduced by £50!)

I might even look into remote mounting the regulator on the side of the machine so that I can change the pressure and/or shut it off completely more easily, allowing me to tuck the compressor itself out of the way somewhere but still adjust it.

Thank you again, I'll let you know how I get on.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Bruce,
I bought valves and tube on ebay - you may need a push in adaptor anyway - I think it is 8mm.

Best
Dave
MysteryMachine

Post by MysteryMachine »

Hi Dave,

The compressor arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to get it fired up!

It's a lot quieter than I was expecting and it's held its pressure perfectly for the last 30hrs. A good start.

Please can I ask what connectors/pipe did you use to connect it to the machine? Have you used any rigid plastic pipe or just got the silicone hose that comes with the machine as standard?

I know it's a lot to ask, but if you don't mind sharing some details of your connection/set-up I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Bruce,
Sorry just seen this - for some reason I don't always get post notifications!

I bought some of the nylon tube (same as the one supplied with the laser to pump) and the push fit valves and joints as I had two machines on one compressor to start with.

Now I have one each connected as a straight swap for the original pump but use push fit valves to adjust the flow for the particular job using the main valve as a main on/off. I leave them pressurised all the time and empty any water every couple of weeks (if I remember :oops: ).

Screwfix sell a duster tool which is handy as well - quick way to dust the workshop :-)

Best
Dave