Problems with LS1290

Moderators: HPC, Daven

lekezherka

Problems with LS1290

Post by lekezherka »

Hi all,

This is the first time I am addressing this forum and I am glad finally to thank personally all of you for your contribution. Community is the best value of any manufacturer.

We recently got a second HPC laser at our makerspace here in Kosovo, which is a LS1290. After waiting since October 2017 to be shipped, on February 2018 we finally received the container incl. the LS1290 and we also got a CNC1212 from HPC.

After a month of figuring out the space and mounting all the necessities we started using our laser and generally we did large cuts on Perspex and cardboard for our makers here at the makerspace.

However, life is not perfect neither are machines. We are since two weeks struggling with our ls1290 at cutting our logo with out problems on rounds shape. We believe that the combination of X and Y axis on movement is causing some wobbling and as a result we get some funny shapes and not straight. We also cut round circles of different sizes and can confirm also by photo the problem.

The issue with this laser is not only the wobbling on diagonal lines but as well when the Y axis moved we got clicking sounds. We contacted HPC and Jonathan over there informed us that the Y short belt that connects to the motor was over tighten and this should fix the issue with the strange noise. Fortunately it did, and this problem was solved.

Upon inspection and trying to fix the wobbling problem, we found out that the pulley that connects the main shaft for the Y axes to the motor was loose (two screws), and we tighten those up. We have also noticed that this main shaft that connects the Y belts to the gantry is not perfectly straight. We do not know if this is the issue of the wobbling.

What we did check is that we perfectly focused the laser alignment, we did check all the mirrors if they are loose, we did square the gantry and finally we did clean and oli all the mechanical parts. However, we still do not have a success with our fairly small detail prints or even large ones to say.

We tried multiple speeds and this is not helping as well.

PLEASE, if you can offer us any tip or trick how to fix this problem we would really appreciate it.

Best,
Leka.

Daven

Re: Problems with LS1290

Post by Daven »

If this happens on my 3060 it can also be down to cleaning and oiling the bearing shafts
The belts should run on the pulleys with very little movement side to side.

Does the head move ok if you move it by have with the machine off? It should move with little resistance.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
lekezherka

Post by lekezherka »

Daven wrote:If this happens on my 3060 it can also be down to cleaning and oiling the bearing shafts
The belts should run on the pulleys with very little movement side to side.

Does the head move ok if you move it by have with the machine off? It should move with little resistance.

Best
Dave
Dave, thank you very much for replying.

Yes we did try to clean and oil everything, although, the machine is brand new and there is not much to clean and oil.

And Yes, the head of the laser moves freely if the machine is stopped, with very little resistance.

Still the same problem persists.
Daven

Post by Daven »

I would call HPC again - it may be easier than trying various 'possibilities' that could make it worse.

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
lekezherka

Post by lekezherka »

Thanks Dave,

I am just wondering and asking through this post if anyone has a similar issue to mine.

I have contacted HPC and had a call with Chriss as well, but we cannot sort this issue out.

Here is another pic of maybe a clue to the issue if someone has any input as to what is happening.

The V on the X axis looks fine, however the V on the Y axis has a problem. the problem with this one is that the distance between first diagonal traverse to the second one is shorter than the 3'rd to the 4'th.

Maybe the second pic you can see the difference better. And as stated this only happens when writing text at 90 degree rotation, si in short i still believe that has something to do with the Y axis. But cannot identify if it is a problem with the steps in the Y motor or power problem.

Thanks for your inputs.
Best,
Leka.
Daven

Post by Daven »

What software are you creating the files in? Can you email me them and I will see it it does the same on my laser ( That will eliminate software and speed issues).

If Chris can't help of the top of his head then it could be tricky!
lekezherka

Post by lekezherka »

Daven wrote:What software are you creating the files in? Can you email me them and I will see it it does the same on my laser ( That will eliminate software and speed issues).

If Chris can't help of the top of his head then it could be tricky!

Thanks Daven,

here is the link with the files as saved by laserscript

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/063ae5 ... ient_email

Thanks,
Leka.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Leka,
A quick look at the files - they seem ok but I did notice the left hand size of the V is wider than the right so be careful if comparing the output.
Without seeing the original file you used to import to laserscript it is hard to say but check that you are using polylines not splines. Splines can do strange things!

Also check to make sure the material isn't moving. Are you using the normal air assist pump that came with the machine? I had strange wavy cuts when using too much pressure but assumed a mirror or the lens was loose (they should not be over tight but enough so there is no movement).

What power settings are you using? Your file were set quite low but that maybe a difference between our machines and versions. If the power is too low you may get strange results as well.

Best
Dave