Water temp and chillers

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Scriggles

Water temp and chillers

Post by Scriggles »

Hi, me again.
There seems to be mixed reviews on what water temperature the laser should be running at. I have 25 degrees written on my instruction manual when I picked the laser up but looking at threads online, this seems way too high?
I'm currently using the laser with temperatures anywhere over 20 ... and probably quite close to 25 degrees. Is this fine?
Also, if it's too high, are there any inexpensive water chillers you'd recommend. I'm operating the LS3040 with about 35 litres of water in the water storage unit (and a fair amount of ice/ ice packs).
Thanks
Kim
Daven

Re: Water temp and chillers

Post by Daven »

Hi Kim,
I run mine at about 13 degrees with the use of a chiller. The laser power drops off the hotter it gets and with some tubes can melt the epoxy holding the couplers on. I have thermometers on the tank and the outflow tube and the water is always a few degrees more coming out.

So if the water is at 25 the tube could be getting up to 30 which is a bit risky!

HPC sell the chillers - you would be after one that has a compressor rather than just fans that blow air over the water. You may also pick a used one up that is used in fish keeping - D-D DC-300 for example (I have the 750) ;)
Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Scriggles

Re: Water temp and chillers

Post by Scriggles »

Great - Thanks Dave. I'll check it out!