Box maker

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Spooky

Re: Box maker

Post by Spooky »

Cutter allowance should be a minus figure as well, (that sets the equal of a G41 figure for CNC's) and allows the boxes to fit easily :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
The-Engraver

Post by The-Engraver »

I have made a few acrylic boxes of various sizes with this and have had no problems so far, (touch wood).
blinky465

Post by blinky465 »

I use Inkscape for my dxf files. It can open loads of different file formats but the pdf import is brilliant.
I discovered today that there's a difference between wmf and dxf when importing into NewlyDraw. This is despite both being "vector" image formats. I was surprised when my new LS3020 tried to engrave a shape I'd drawn and exported as wmf (I assumed all bitmaps would be engraved and all vectors would be treated as cut lines).

But in summary, open any number of file formats in Inkscape then save as dxf.
No limitations, no restrictions, works every time! AND it's free!
Import the dxf into NewlyDraw and you've got your cutlines all ready for you.

Coupled with CutePDF (which allows you to print a file to a virtual printer, even if it's from some demo software that has export crippled or puts watermarks across the output) you can create PDF files, import them into Inkscape, ungroup and edit, then save the outlines/shapes as dxf. An excellent (and cheap) way to create cut files for your projects!

For example, I use Flash for drawing. I just like it - the tools are similar to Adobe Illustrator, but as a software developer, I prefer working with Flash. I can export fla/source files as wmf, then open these in Inkscape to create dxf files. But I can also print any swf/Flash file off the 'net, save as pdf, open in Inkscape to edit it and then save the final version as dxf.

Inkscape also includes "simplify" commands which is really important for any CNC-based machine.
Some programs create curves and arcs from hundreds of tiny little straight lines. Inkscape creates proper splines with control points, which results in better/smaller g-code which the CNC machine uses to draw the shapes.

It might be a bit clunky, loading a file in one app, saving and opening in another, but once you get used to it, Inkscape is an excellent tool to have in your toolbox!
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Inkscape creates proper splines with control points,
Arrrggg, the bane of my bloody life!! SPLINES!!
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
blinky465

Post by blinky465 »

They might be bezier curves. I assumed splines because about 200 control points can get condensed into just four or five, with nice smooth curves between each. I spent weeks trying to create splines from a series of control points for an online drawing editor written in Flash/Actionscript. Actually got it working too. Then user feedback was that it was really horrible to use, so the project had to be re-written!
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

eeek,

Splines cause me all sorts of problems in drawings, AutoCAD's equation is different even in DXF format so the generation of the curves tends to be hit and miss if changing between programs.
They also use huge amounts of memory :(

NewlyDraw and LaserCUT also uses a different equation so splines will cut differently to how they actually look.polynomal beziers although splines per-se are easier to deal with as the equation is resonably simple and can be duplicated cross platform.

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

^_^

I design box nets all day like this. Don't show my boss, I'll be out of a job (or they'll find me something else to do)
LS 6090 user