no beam

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Bernie_of_CPE

Re: no beam

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

I Had exactly the problem you described with my 6090 Pro about 5 months after I bought it.

Chris diagnosed a safety cut out switch fault upon investigation it proved to be the lid micro switch had gone down. It looked to me as though the casing had been over heated during installation and melted it. Replacement price was £0.50 Chris offered to send one down (his customer service is second to none) I just bought a new one from RSS.

Of more interest was the test procedure, simply short the input wires together and the system will think the switch is closed and therefore the lid is closed. There is a reason this system is fitted, be respectful of the safety systems as it is easily possible to injury yourself. One of my employees almost came to grief when fiddling with the laser and a jig we use to register cut parts. He had used a cable tie to hold the switch closed so he could open the cover and have the laser still fire, he bent over into the cabinet to check alignment on the bed forgetting the laser had to travel along the path of the travelling beam to reach the last mirror block, it was like something from James Bond, luckily no flesh was touched and the beam is 1/2" wide before focussing at the last mirror.

A little while later we had a dumb situation where the laser was moved and pipework reconnected backwards. We follow a set procedure to begin a job with water pump run for 30 mins prior, extraction switch on, download file and settings, test and set up material, start the job. However, after starting the water pump, everything went according to plan it was a repeat job from the previous day, everything except no laser cutting. The machine went through all the motions just didn't start the laser itself.

Again Chris came to the rescue and advised the waterflow switch could be jammed shut caused by no flow detected or water pushed the paddle shut under enough force to jam it there even if the pipework was reconnected the correct way around afterwards. It's another safety feature to save a costly tube being scrapped I guess. The unit has a paddle within which if lifted by waterflow closes a switch telling the system there is water flowing through the tube. It was jammed and an easy fix once removed.

As we have to move the machine on occasion to clean up I sleeved the ends of the tubes with different colours of vinyl tape to avoid this happening again.

In some respects you have to apply common sense and put procedures in place to prevent mishaps if you do then life will be easier in avoid pitfalls. We had much head scratching as to why things went wrong. I have to say that in every case so far it had nothing to do with the equipment just our way of working or lack of expertise. We live and learn and I am happy to share.

Bernie.
Best regards.

Bernie_of_CPE (Custom Product Engineering)