Software faults

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Syman

Software faults

Post by Syman »

Can people post any problems with the laser cutting software. I have lots of problems with this appaling software. I will start:

Software crashes when looking at a USB stick.
Random crashes all the time.
Saves whether you want it to or not.
When starting a new document and you make a mistake and want to cancel it does not cancel.

There are loads of problems. When will this appaling software be updated?????????????????????????????????????????? :geek: :roll:
Syman

Re: Software faults

Post by Syman »

Just found another fault with the software:

At the moment it will not load another file into the laser cutter. It keeps cutting the last file !!!! Do we get the £10 plastic back ?
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Software crashes when looking at a USB stick
Most likely an issue with the usb stick.Use a fully formatted plain file format and avoid all the stick extras like security as they will conflict with Lasercut software.
Random crashes all the time.
Welcome to the world of windows and microsoft ;)
Saves whether you want it to or not.
You should get the option on closing, simply select "Do you wish to save the project" = "No"
There are loads of problems. When will this appaling software be updated
Pretty much 80% of problems with software crashes are caused by conflicts with hardware or other software. Try running an ATI video card with a soundblaster live, you get clicking noises...no way round it as they share IRQ's and cannot be reassigned. It's the nature of software sadly, some packages just won't work with others.
I used to get asked at Cisco "Why does my £4000 workstation keep crashing" only later did I find out the client had installed 20+ £3.50 s***ware games on it that wern't compatible with the operating system. They still insisted it was the machine and not the crap software.
Games, especially high end recent releases won't allow sharing of driver time (windows doesn't multitask, it switches between tasks quickly unless you are using a multi core / processor set up) so that great game that was installed last week will load it's drivers into memory on boot up (to get the game to start quicker should you wish to play later today) sadly what it doesn't do is check to see if those drivers are accessing the same IRQ's and DMA's you need for the laser driver.
At the moment it will not load another file into the laser cutter. It keeps cutting the last file !!!!
And it will do, look at the small screen, it will tell you what it is going to cut next, if like me you can't be bothered to change the name of each file and just run laser.mol everytime it will cut the last file presented. Simple way is hit esc after each load, this will run the last program you have loaded from the PC.
Much the same way as a PC works, PC's are pretty dumb, they will do EXACTLY what you tell them to, they don't make mistakes they just permit us as users to make a lot of mistakes very accuratly and very quickly :)

Right click your taskbar at the bottom of the screen, look at the processes that are running.....you may be supprised just what windows loads on boot up...expect problems if your running Norton or Macaffee bloatware as your anti virus.Both packages are the porias of the programming world.They simply don't play well with others ;)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Syman

Post by Syman »

Thanks for the your help. Everything you have said will help but it is still the fault of the laser software. No other software has these problems. Photoshop and Illustrator and Microsoft Office never crash and work with all USB sticks. These programs dont crach because of the amount of investment and time put into development. You talked about IRQ conflicts; that sounds like the sort of problems you got with windows 98, not XP.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

No other software has these problems
As you quite rightly point out Sy, not many high end packages have as many crash issues, then again look at some of the high end stuff?

I use AutoCAD for my day job, it's the worlds foremost drafting software and the industry standard, my licensing cost close to £10,000 and even that has the occasional crash. Adobe Photoshop....again in the £1000 region and still that crashes.
Take windows itself, the worlds most developed software from what was the worlds premier developer.
Still crashes....

Tiz the nature of the beast sadly, when writing software most stuff is sandboxed (run alone on a dedicated station) but when it's released to the world it mixes with other stuff and goes wrong.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Trevor Wootton

Post by Trevor Wootton »

Hi Sy,
For my info, as i'm just about to get my machine, which software is giving problems.
Cheers
Trev
Trevor Wootton

Post by Trevor Wootton »

Sorry, what I should have said is which software is giving problems with which software.
Trev
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Good morning, thank you for your responses on the software issue (Dave)

"Sy" we have spoken to you last week regarding the software and have advised that this is an isolated issue,
we have in excess of 200+ machines in the market place, and as suggested asked your IT people to look at your computer.

The forum is for sharing information, all complaints should be address to us via email, rather than an open forum.

I trust you will now contact us directly where we can speak with you again to try and resolve your issues.

This thread will now be closed.

Many thanks

Charlotte
Syman

Post by Syman »

Trevor Wootton wrote:Sorry, what I should have said is which software is giving problems with which software.
Trev
Its the software that comes with the laser cutter. Having said that the laser is a good machine.
bob

Post by bob »

Hi Trevor we have had a hpc machine for nearly three years we work with pc based machines using dxf and plt files and have never suffered problems with the software it is good to work with and the unite lines option in tools reduces the file size. we recently started running an intel mac machine and this runs it well (like xp).
So if you stick to a system thjat machinery understands it will work well.
Most cnc machines are happiest on XP and dxf files.. ;)