Cutting With BMP Files

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Trevor Wootton

Cutting With BMP Files

Post by Trevor Wootton »

Hi,
I've designed a simple jigsaw in MS Paint, imported the image into Lasercut but when we tried to set the mode to cut a error box appears saying BMPs can only be engraved. Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong. :?:
Cheers
Spooky

Re: Cutting With BMP Files

Post by Spooky »

Yup bitmaps are raster images, they contain only pixel information.

To cut you need to be using a Vector image (a series of co-ordinates in effect)

If you want your picture converted to dxf mail it to me and I'll do it for you :)

dave@opticalpower.co.uk

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Trevor Wootton

Post by Trevor Wootton »

Thanks for the reply Dave. It was nothing important I was trying to make, I'm just trying to learn stuff on my new machine. I want to get into transfering photographs to engraved pictures as my main business but also want to make other things to go into my new shop, when we've mastered the machine. I'll investigate the vectoring side of life. My son is a computer whizz so will know what to do etc. I just know how to switch one on.
Trev
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

:) no worries I've replied to Paul by mail :)

For pictures to engraving then go with Chris's off the shelf software Photograv 3, that will decline the picure to a decent line drawing for engraving.
Converting with AutoCAD from black and white picture to black and white engraving is'nt as easy as converting to a vector.
Gimme 20 mins and I'll post up a picture in 4 formats so you can see the differences :)

best wishes
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Trevor Wootton

Post by Trevor Wootton »

Just to let anyone who is interested, my son has just found a 7 page Comparison of raster to vector conversion software guide on Wikipedia.org.
Trev