AutoCAD Grid

Moderators: HPC, Daven

DavidJHolmes

AutoCAD Grid

Post by DavidJHolmes »

Ok I've started a proper project in Autocad, staying away from Corel and Illustrator at the moment. I've drawn the first two shapes :mrgreen: Ok its an octagon with an offset but its a start! Is it possible to reset the grid to one of the octagon corners so I can draw the design inside the octagon a little more easily?

Thanks
Spooky

Re: AutoCAD Grid

Post by Spooky »

The grid starts at bottom left at 0,0 you can reset it in autocad or move it but to be honest sometimes the grid causes more problems than it solves.

It would be easier to drop a point using co-ordinates at the place you want your drawing to start :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
DavidJHolmes

Post by DavidJHolmes »

I'm not too good in AutoCAD, I've drawn an octagon with sides 20mm. Then an internal octagon offset 3mm. If I start drawing I'm into the .00mm which is a headache, at least I can start at some whole numbers before delving into the .00mm.

Do you know how to reset the grid to a corner of the octagon?
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

drop me a direct mail David. ill send you a pressy by return ;)
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
DavidJHolmes

Post by DavidJHolmes »

Thanks Dave, you have mail :)
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

Grid?

I never use that or snap to grid.

Its all about offset for me!
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
Mike

Post by Mike »

you are using it all wrong, You don’t need to use or reference the global co-ordinates or ever use the grid, I have used AutoCAD for years and have never given a care as to where my drawing is placed in the global co ordinate system or on or off the grid.

You should be using the object snap properties and use the @ sign when entering “next point positions.

So if I wanted a line to start I would

click line, select any place on the screen, then when it says "next point" type @x,y (i.e. @100,100)

so that will give you a line from your original point to a point 100 units across and 100 units up. Works the same way for shapes etc

if you know the angle and length of line you want you type the second point like this

@100<60

So that will draw a line 100 units long and at an angle of 60 degrees.

Once you get this down and object snap properties under your belt you can draw just about anything pretty quickly.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

I'm with Mike, I have the grid turned off on mine.

I only ever use snaps and ortho on the base tools.

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
DavidJHolmes

Post by DavidJHolmes »

Ok I understand that, how about if I want to start a line 2.95mm above another line and 3.5mm from another line?
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya David,

You have two coordinate systems in autoCAD, one is absolute (relative to X0 Y0) the other is incremental (from the last X Y)

Often the construction line can help as well as using offset and the end/middle/parallel/perpendicular object snaps. Its like constructing a temporary grid system around what you are drawing.

Personally I don't like using the keyboard past adding dimensions or specifying line lengths etc so I tend to avoid line commands with the length / x y / angle system..

It's a bit like building a scaffold around a building while you work then removing it when it is of no more use.

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk