LS3020 - Engraves but will not cut

Moderators: HPC, Daven

PhillyDee

Re: LS3020 - Engraves but will not cut

Post by PhillyDee »

Here is an utterly simplistic view I just knocked up on Paint.net

The measurement (I use the depth gauge on my vernier calipers) on the far right on mine (I have a different lens to standard) is 59mm from the plate inbetween that the red dot is screwed to I think I worked out the standard to be 61-62mm ish working backwards from the lens.
The lens is inside the head where shown, and should meaure 50.8mm (assuming 2" length Focus) but of course it is difficult to check from there!
Attachments
focus.jpg
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
SimonMallas

Post by SimonMallas »

Hi,
How's the test going? You should be measuring from the top of the material to the top of the mounting plate, which is the the plate that holds the laser head and attaches everything to the gantry. The lens is as you mentioned under the angled mirror. You get to it from underneath. There is a topic on assess the lens, with pictures on the site. Also could you just do so test fires on some ply, just to see what beam pattern your getting. It should be nice and round regardless of focus.
Cheers Simon
ADavies

Post by ADavies »

Cheers, thats exactly how I was measuring initially and have reverted to but it still wont cut through the wood. Perhaps it's the wood I'm using.

For all intents and purposes I now have the cutter doing the thing (cutting acrylic) that my girlfriend purchased it for but I'll persevere with my experiments with wood.