LS3020 is not cutting properly.

Moderators: HPC, Daven

miniaturemaniac

LS3020 is not cutting properly.

Post by miniaturemaniac »

Hi guys

Just had a quick look through older posts and couldn't find an answer.

Just a few weeks ago I posted my 3020 wasn't cutting through mount board and was advised to clean mirrors/lens etc. Did this and she started to cut better again but now she is just bl.... hopeless! :cry:

Only cut mount board 1.5mm thick and she is having a terrible struggle to cut through it. It cuts OK sometimes in odd places over the full sheet (A4) but mostly not all the way through. I have tried different settings - it was OK at 15% for ages and now no matter what setting it just ain't happy! Anything midway down the sheet and it never cuts through! I have tried turning the power well up but as soon as it reaches 50% it doesn't even draw a mark never mind cut through and 'hisses' on 50%? Fiddled about with different speeds and power combinations but no luck. Is my tube dying do you think? I have got a spare one as I was advised to buy it at the same time as I bought the 3020 as HPC do not post them. But if anyone can advise me to try anything before changing the tube I would be grateful.

She is just coming up to her 2nd birthday!

Regards

Sue
Daven

Re: LS3020 is not cutting properly.

Post by Daven »

Have you checked the beam alignment?

If it has had hard use over the two years it maybe worth buying a new lens, how does the look, does it have a halo?

Cheers

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
miniaturemaniac

Thanks for reply Dave

There is no halo around the lens so that seems to be ok.

I have checked the beam alignment - the laser spot is way out.

Well I have just spent all afternoon with my hubby sorting out the alignment of the mirrors. Finally figured out how to do it.

Now the thing is ITS STILL NO BETTER!

Have tried cutting out my usual things from mount board at 15% power 12 speed which it always cut at just great but not anymore. Fiddled with different settings on speed and power and its just useless! She is unusable.

I don't consider her to have done hard work - a lot maybe - but not what I call hard - I do hope its not the tube but I am lost to know what else it could be!

Any other ideas please.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hi Sue,

When the laser fires is there a good solid looking purple beam along the tube?

It's the hiss sound I'm not liking much...when tubes die they usually go a few days then just arc to the machine chassis (don't worry, it's a bit scary the first time but HPC machines ARE very safe) it's a little unusual to get a hissing sound.

It could also be heat, if it starts off cutting ok then goes tilt that suggests something may be getting hot, have you checked the right hand end of the tube for bubbles?

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
miniaturemaniac

Hi Dave

When the laser fires there is only a solid looking beam along the tube when I have the pot turned up over 40% any lower and it only glows at the two ends nothing in the middle!

Checked for bubbles in the tube - clean as a whistle - in fact it was difficult to actually know that water was going through until pinching the hoses running from and to the tube.

I know the tubes get 'weaker' the more they are used and at a rough guess I think I may have had about 1200 hours use from this one.

The water isn't too cold or hot either so I don't think the problem is there.

All the 'mechanics' of the machine seem to be working correctly. I just can't get anything cut with it. It should cut through mount board easy like paper surely?

I tried cutting simple shapes this morning and it can't cut through the board no matter what percentage power I use - but when I give it some 'wellie' (50%) it draws a very fine line around the shape (virtually a mark no cut) and any more power than this and it doesn't even make a mark!

Grateful for any other ideas.
Daven

Post by Daven »

It would be interesting to see the result of a test fire on a bit of card put between the tube and 1st mirror with the power set to 20% (2 full turns of the pot). Do it safely with the lid closed.

1200 hrs is on the thin end of the wedge for the tube really so I'm with spooky - tube looks to be the chief suspect I'm afraid. My 3020 did hiss a bit when it was cranked up but it did not come from the tube area - more the power supply. Where do you think the hiss is coming from?

Best
Dave
miniaturemaniac

The hiss is from the cone where the laser beam comes through - not from the tube. When it used to cut you can sort of hear the laser while it follows the pattern but when I get that hiss it just sounds like - hollow - like gas escaping!
bobg

Post by bobg »

This may not be helpful in your case, but I had 250 hours on a tube when it gave the results you are experiencing. It would cut a little on low power but not at all as I turned it up. It turned out to be the water. I had put some Milton in to stop it going green. I use an HPC cooler and the water was bright orange. The rear of the laser is under some benching and I had failed to notice this discolouration. I assume the Milton had reacted with the copper pipes in the cooler and turned the water orange. Laser damaged. A new laser solved the problem. Water changed completely and I now check the colour when I top it up.

Bob
LS3020 used for hobby - making model railway buildings/signals etc.
miniaturemaniac

Now I don't know if that is a coincidence or not but I too use a bit of Milton in the water - but my water is lovely and clean - it is crystal clear.

But saying that if I recollect my cutting problems seemed to have got worse since I topped up the water (I confess to it not being distilled but it goes through a treatment machine and a light tube (to kill ecoli) and I did think it would be ok to use - maybe I have killed the tube then?
Daven

Post by Daven »

Minerals in non-deionised water could kill the tube early. A UV steriliser may get rid of e-coli but AFAIK won't remove the minerals - does the treatment filter remove minerals?. I buy Deionised water from the local car parts shop in 25ltr drums for about £15 and replace it each year at least.

Not sure that adding Milton would have an effect I use it and have not found a difference. From what I have seen if the water is too warm or not running you get a gradual decrease in power, when the tube cools down it cuts like nothing has happened until it overheats again rather than just not cutting from start up.

It can't do any harm to flush the system if you wanted - you could also carefully clean the mirror the exit end of the tube (very carefully) or at least inspect it for any damage (a boots dentist mirror is ideal for this ;-) ).

Best

Dave