Noise levels

Moderators: HPC, Daven

philserre

Noise levels

Post by philserre »

I'm contemplating buying a LS3020 and want to lnow what the noise levels are like, both with and without a filtering system. I want to use the machine in the home, or in a detached garage, and am concerned about the neighbours! Do different materials and activities (engraving/cutting) create different levels of noise? Thanks.
Spooky

Re: Noise levels

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Phil,

Noise is al but non existant on the smaller machines. Extraction is akin to a quiet hair dryer and when cutting there is a slight sizzle that is inaudible at 3 feet.
The machines use a non mechanical non contact type of process so much of the noise you would get with "machining" just isn't there.
Only thing to consider is fumes, materials such as acrylic give off fumes when cut (they are effectivly being vaporised) and while not toxic per se they aren't really something you want to be sucking into your lungs for a passtime.
A garage is the better idea that's for sure.

hope that helps

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Daven

Post by Daven »

I agree with Dave - I have the 3020 and it is no worse than an old dot matrix printer. The water pump is silent and the air compressor is like a fish tank pump but only needs to run when the laser is working. Place in on a foam bed and it is not too bad.

Fumes are a pest - I don't have the room to put mine in the garage so have to use it in spare room with window open. I intend to rig up a extractor soon that can hang outside as I don't use it enough to annoy the neighbours (yet) ;)

Only had mine a couple of weeks and have no regrets so far!

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
philserre

Post by philserre »

Thanks Dave & Dave,
I'm surprised but pleased to get your responses. We have a larger laser at work which makes a lot of noise but this may be due to its extraction/filtration system. I have contacted HPC today and hope to go for a demo in the near future. Regards, Phil