Motors / gears slipping?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Kris

Motors / gears slipping?

Post by Kris »

Alright everyone, happy new year, hoping someone has seen this problem before / knows what the matter is.

I'm cutting card on an LS3020 and just recently I'm having to use my scalpel a lot to finish the cuts! Outlines are coming out unfinished, and it's anything with a curve on, the cut is stopping short, and in some cases the curve isn't as I've drawn it on the computer - subtle curves are coming out as a straight line. It seems to be the horizontal axis that isn't turning when it should.

I've attached 2 files - 'pattern' is the Illustrator file as it should be and 'photo' is a shot of the card.

So could the x-axis 'timing belt' be slack? Or does it need a big clean where I can't routinely reach?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Thanks

Kris
---------------
LS3020, 35w tube
Macbook Pro, Illustrator CS6
Windows XP, NewlyDraw 1.5
Kris

Re: Motors / gears slipping?

Post by Kris »

Sorry, board attachment quota has been reached and breached.

Images are here:

http://s27.postimg.org/agj9ulwdb/pattern1_02.png

http://s27.postimg.org/nd17asdgf/photo.jpg

Thanks

Kris
---------------
LS3020, 35w tube
Kris

Re: Motors / gears slipping?

Post by Kris »

Arrrrggghhhh, I figured it out. It now looks like I'm having a big conversation with myself on a forum, but I thought I'd better post a solution in case anyone else comes across the same problem.

The rubber belt for the x-axis gantry was really loose. I'm going to go so far as to say ridiculously loose. I hadn't realised because: the air assist tube and power cable for the red dot sight were twisted and overlapping inside the chain carrier system, so they were adding a little tension. Once I straightened them out I realised the problem. You can only access the screws to tighten this part if you move the gantry to the bottom of the bed and tighten the screws through the little access hatch on the left hand side of the machine. Hopefully I've not overtightened them. :?

Left hand side of gantry

Underneath that is the plastic gear and rubber belt

Bolts for the plastic gear mounting plate
Thanks

Kris
---------------
LS3020, 35w tube