Protective eyewear

Moderators: HPC, Daven

sam

Protective eyewear

Post by sam »

Hi,

Any recommendations for suitable eye protection when aligning the laser beam on an LS3020 LSCT?. Quick postage / delivery would be perfect.

I see the HPC setup guide recommends 10.6 micron. Is this 10.6 micron - '10600nm Typical Wavelength' ?

cheers

Sam
Tom

Re: Protective eyewear

Post by Tom »

Hi Sam
You shouldn't be able to fire the laser with the lid up so no need for glasses
sam

Post by sam »

Hi Tom,

I did think the same, e.g the lid has to be closed for the laser to even fire

but in the HPC booklet which came with the laser it says:

' It is recommended that the user wears eye protection, especially when aligning the beam.' - and from what I have read, this is all done with the lid down.

but then that contradicts the fact that the laser can't fire without the lid down?. Maybe it's just a general safety warning, for if you did work on the laser with the lid up (the engineer at HPC did this to show us the innards).

What do you think?

cheers

Sam
Tom

Post by Tom »

I think your right
You'll be watching the laser work though the same screen and i don't think you need glasses for doing that :)
Daven

Post by Daven »

The lid contacts should never be bypassed - it is not just your eyes to protect!

I use the keypad menu to turn the power down to 25% when aligning as a quick flash can be too powerful and even set fire to the tape. It is a pain closing and opening but having drawn a line over the tips of my fingers on a laser that wasn't safety protected I would strongly advise to put up with the inconvenience!

Forgot to add the the beam can reflect off the bed - the inside of my lid proves that as there are fine marks more over the side I use most!

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
sam

Post by sam »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I wasn't planning to operate the machine with the lid open, was just mentioning the engineer did.

It was more in response in the HPC manual mentioning protective eyewear (which I currently do not have), when the lid has to be closed for the laser to fire.

cheers

Sam
Daven

Post by Daven »

No worries - with lid down you should be safe ;)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
sam

Post by sam »

Tom wrote:I think your right
You'll be watching the laser work though the same screen and i don't think you need glasses for doing that :)
I'm thinking the same. Thanks for the assistance.