Final alignment high

Moderators: HPC, Daven

CamG

Final alignment high

Post by CamG »

I've just popped a new lens in my laser after a bit of a cleaning accident and checked my alignment at the same time, I remember this issue from when I originally did the alignment but didn't ask at the time. Basically the beam enters the hole before the final mirror & lens pretty much at the top of the hole and I'm wondering if i'm losing power due to it not being central on the lens (my cut speeds/powers seem a lot less than what I see other people mention. eg. i'm cutting 3mm acrylic at 10 or 11 speed /45% power and putting the power any higher doesn't seem to allow higher speeds). Basically my query is, how do I lower the overall beam position?
The final alignment check is consistent wherever on the bed the head is, it's just a few mm too high and as far as I can tell adjusting the mirrors won't help this as it will just throw out the alignment. Best I can figure is the tube itself is too high? is there any way to lower it so it hits the first mirror lower?
Daven

Re: Final alignment high

Post by Daven »

Hi Cam,
It should be as near the center as possible - tweak the 2nd mirror a tiny amount. I also make sure the beam comes out near the center of the nozzle.

16 at 65% is what I tend to use for 3mm ;)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
CamG

Post by CamG »

hi Dave, thanks for the reply. The problem I have is the beam is level with the mirrors in the current position, so if I move the second mirror at all, it won't be flat and won't be in a consistent position as the head moves around the bed.
Daven

Post by Daven »

So are you saying the test burn stays in the same place before and after moving the head from left to right?

What machine is it?

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
CamG

Post by CamG »

Yep, the test burn (when taping over the hole before the final mirror) stays in the same place on all 4 corners of the bed, so the beam is flat/level when coming off the second mirror. it's just too high when hitting the first mirror.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Give HPC a call - I wouldn't like to suggest if it is best to lower the tube or raise the gantry.

Best
Dave
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

Don't know what machine you have, do you not have an adjustment for the whole final mirrors lens nozzle head assy ?
CamG

Post by CamG »

Lightnin wrote:Don't know what machine you have, do you not have an adjustment for the whole final mirrors lens nozzle head assy ?
3020, not that I can see, the only way to adjust it that I can tell would be to remove the whole 'plate' that the nozzle is mounted on and stick a couple of washers underneath it.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Possibly easier to lower the tube - I can't remember if the posts are adjustable on the 3020 - you would have to ensure it was adjusted the same amount both ends - the tube is level to the gantry not the case. Check with HPC as they may have an easier solution.

Cheers
Dave