Laser Alignment - Tutorial/Advise please

Moderators: HPC, Daven

KyC

Laser Alignment - Tutorial/Advise please

Post by KyC »

Wow. I have spent 3 hours back and forth, adjust screws to the point where I want to ventilate my skull with lead :(

I just cannot get the alignment right ... I have a LS3020. At the moment I have given up. I have it close but not ideal (which is actually back to where I started from!).

For the sake of discussion -

lens 1 = the one right by the laser tube
lens 2 = the one lens 1 reflect to .. moves up and down
head with lens - bends the laser downward by 90 degrees

so far i have lens2 within 2mm from its far and close position (ie the two burn marks on masking tape)
and lens with head within 2mm as well

I honestly cannot seem to get it better than that!

I would appreciate any tutorial or tips here. I just cant get the technique right.

Thanks
Daven

Re: Laser Alignment - Tutorial/Advise please

Post by Daven »

This is possibly the most helpful - from a company in the US so some of the machine aspects may differ but the basics are the same.

Main thing is to remember that the adjustment of the screws needs to be tiny. I imaging them as if I was adjusting the hour hand of a clock face so I can adjust at 5 minutes (degrees) at a time.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
KyC

Post by KyC »

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply .. man this is soooooooo frustrating

I think the main problem is the tube is firing to high up on the first mirror which mean its impossible to get the beam in the same place (hight wise) when the mirror that goes up and down is far and near, simply because its coming at a downward angle .. So I think I need to try and reseat the tube to hit the first mirror more mid cente - does that make sense?

Thanks

Ky
Daven

Post by Daven »

Have you replaced the tube recently?

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
KyC

Post by KyC »

Nope. I have had this misalignment since I took delivery .. so maybe it took a knock en route to me?
Daven

Post by Daven »

It would have been a substantial knock I think.

Try putting a thin bit of foam under the tube at the first mount (furthest from the 1st mirror) - just enough to move the beam down. This may make the tube un-level with the gantry but you may get away with it on the 3020. If no good remove it ;)

Best
Dave
KyC

Post by KyC »

Thanks Dave .. I was wondering what to use to prop it up - so your reply was well timed! Will try on the weekend - Thanks