New LS3050 user

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Redrum100

New LS3050 user

Post by Redrum100 »

Just thought I would say hi! and introduce myself.

I've had the LS3050 for a couple of months now which I bought secondhand and it's great for what I need it for, plus it has been very reliable so far.

I do have a question which you may know the answer to.

For example when cutting out a circular shape around 2 inch diameter from plastic I am finding there is a line left around the top half of the circle just inside the cut. Engraving is working great it's just the line on the cutting edge that isn't quite right.

I do clean the machine regularly and thought it was correctly lined up. I am just reluctant to start tweaking things without an idea first of what might be causing the line issue.

Thanks
Rob
Daven

Re: New LS3050 user

Post by Daven »

Hi welcome ;)

Is it just acrylic that is happens on?

If it is actually a cut mark it may be the beam is reflecting off the side of the nozzle - check the beam is near the center of the hole using a bit of tape and a quick text fire.

Does it occur anywhere over the bed?

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Redrum100

Post by Redrum100 »

Hi Dave

Thanks for the welcome and the quick response to my question.

The laser is cutting all materials with this issue.

I have looked at the beam through the nozzle and it is centred.

I have also looked again at the alignment and I now think it's out as I have discovered the laser is not producing a dot but rather a slight vertical line on cuts.

I will do a mirror alignment and see where that gets me.

I have the official manual but it doesn't explain what the adjusters do on each mirror.

Am i right to only adjust the thumb screws and not the spring allen screws?

I've seen other video demos where the single thumb screw adjusts up and down, the left on does right to left and the right screw does the diagonal.

Does this sound right?

Sorry for all the questions but I have also noticed there is a lot of dirt on the lens surface facing into the tube, so I would need to take the lens out of its housing to access this. How clean does this need to be? and I'm a bit stuck on finding a tool to undo the lens retainer. I guess a bit of thinking will be needed here!

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Cheers Rob
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Rob,
All mirrors need to be spotless - I do not take them out of the housing as this can alter the alignment (albeit very slight). The optic on the tube of the smaller watt tubes cannot be removed. Cleaning is best done very carefully with a soft cloth.

The adjusters are very basic and take very small amounts to adjust ;)
Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Redrum100

Post by Redrum100 »

Hi Dave

I took the focus lens out of its housing and cleaned both sides, but didn't notice any difference with performance. My thinking is the dirt on the upper side probably didn't affect the laser beam as it is not focusing until it goers through and hits the bottom part of the lens. But at least it is now clean on both sides.

I did a thorough mirror alignment and that seems to have sorted the issue!

As you mentioned small turns of the adjusters is all that is needed to get back into spec.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Rob
Daven

Post by Daven »

Glad you are sorted :)
Dirty lens and mirrors can suffer from heat stress as well so always worth cleaning even if it is cutting ok ;)

Best
Dave