How good is the LS6090 Pro?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

goodge

How good is the LS6090 Pro?

Post by goodge »

Hi

I have just been to the D&T exhibition at the NEC and we saw the LS6090 Pro which looks very impresive for the price. If we were to purchase this machine it would be used in a 11 to 16 school with 2D Design Software V2. I would appreciate any comments about this machine / setup.

Ali
dvdlock

Re: How good is the LS6090 Pro?

Post by dvdlock »

Hi Ali.

I have the LS6090 Pro 60W and can tell you they are more than good value for money machine. They are easy to learn and easy to operate. I have had my machine for 8 or 9-months after upgrading from the LS4060 40W.

The build quality is pretty good as are the quality of the main components of the machine. Of coarse it's not quite like an Epilogue or ULS but then it's not that sort of money either.

Impressive results can be achieved with both engraving and cutting with many different materials. The LaserCut software is intuitive and allows the import of several file types. It can handle layers as well as both raster and vector operations in the same job.

If you want to do photo engraving I would highly recommend the use of PhotoGrav software. This will allow you to open up pretty much any photo file and process it. You can save the processed file an import to LaserCut ready for sending to the Laser. While many photo editing software can also successfully prepare a photo, PhotoGrav is specifically for the job, it's easy to learn and has many other useful features, for example, a graphical simulation of the finished engraving on a selected material.

The big bonus with the LaserScript machines is that they are supplied almost ready to go out of the box and support with Chris of HPC Laser just a phone call away. Also, the availability of any spare parts they may be needed in the future available ex-stock in the UK.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Regards

Dave.
goodge

Post by goodge »

Hi Dave

Thanks for your comments, could you please tell what software you mainly use and what is the main use for your machine.

Ali
dvdlock

Post by dvdlock »

goodge wrote:Hi Dave

Thanks for your comments, could you please tell what software you mainly use and what is the main use for your machine.

Ali

Hi Ali,

For vector work I mainly use CorelDraw V12. For photgraph based work (.jpeg, .bmp and the like) Corel PhotoImpact (Used to be Ulead PhotoImpact but Corel bought them out). I use this because I've always used it rather than for any other reason. PhotoShop and other editing suites are just as good for preparing images prior to use with the laser. As mentioned I use Photograv to process photographs and the like after I've edited them. It's easy to use and in my opinion well worth the £300 ish. You can use other dithering methods found in PhotoImpact, PhotoShop etc. but PhotoGrav makes life easy.
Corel Trace is very useful. It's handy for when you want to vectorise an image. It's part of the CorelDraw graphics suite. There are loads of tutorials available for CorelDraw as well which are great for a fast learning curve with the software.

Other than those I don't really use much else. All the angles are pretty much covered.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask away if you have more questions.

Regards

Dave.
bob

Post by bob »

Hi Goodge,
We use 2D design on the 1290 pro the big brother.
The files are saved in layers and coloured to suit the engraving/cutting.
You then export as dxf file.
Then open lasercut software.
Import File.
Set cut/Engrave power and speed.
Download and start !!!
Simples
We get great results and good backup if required (normally easily answered questions-Thanks Chris)
Hope this helps
Bob
:D