Windows 7 issues

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Bernie_of_CPE

Windows 7 issues

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

Hi Guys,

Anyone had issues with the Lasercut software working with windows 7?

I am using the Home Edition version bought as a three license package deal from PC World to replace the troublesome Vista Ultimate we were using. I had a warning message saying the software may not have installed correctly, would I like Windows 7 to "fix" this problem. Now it seems that the dongle is not recognised so the software won't run even though it looks to have installed correctly.

While we are on the subject of software a few of my customers use Powerpoint to make illustrations. Anyone suggest the easiest way to import as cutting files? We have an Apple Mac Extreme with Leopard as our main system and if Illustrator wasn't so expensive I would buy and use as others have but I can't stretch to the £550+ VAT.

At the moment our machine is out of service due to these software issues, if it hits the fan I will down grade and reinstall XP but it seems like such a backward step. Any help would be appreciated but please keep it simple as I easily get lost in technical instruction... :D

Computer specs are: Hewlett Packard Pavillion 2.8ghz 3 Gb ram 360gb Sata HDD Radeon HD4350 Video card
Best regards.

Bernie_of_CPE (Custom Product Engineering)
dvdlock

Re: Windows 7 issues

Post by dvdlock »

Hi Bernie,

Unfortunately I can't help you with Windows 7 as I haven't upgraded as yet. I do run my Laserscript from a laptop running Vista though and I can't say I've had a single issue with it.

On the software, I doubt you can import a powerpoint illustration into any software as cutting files. Cutting requires the use of vector files. An illustration could be imported into Illustrator for example but you would have to at least do some tracing to be able to convert it to a vector.
I have both Illustrator CS3 and CorelDraw V12. I rarely use Illustrator, mainly because I'm not overly familiar with it. I do use CorelDraw though on pretty much a daily basis. It is worth it's weight...........

You can still pick up a copy of this very cheaply. Here's a link to a student/teacher version (not sure what the differences are) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000787QNE/r ... nkCode=asn
and it's just £70.00

Hope this helps,

Dave.
bob

Post by bob »

Bernie,
Just done a windows 7 install...
All loaded up no problem then wouldent find the dongle to open software here was a problem...... :(
Thanks to a clever IT Guy we know at a school go to device manager select the item then on driver properties choose to rin drivers as xp and Horrayyyy............................ :D :D :D
All working as usual.
The trick is the drivers allowing it to work as xp
Good luck
titimadam

Post by titimadam »

hi bob,

im trying to get the driver to work on windows 7.. ive gone into the device manager and selected the driver and gone to properties but i cant see how you can change it to make it run in xp. do you know how to do it??

im having a nightmare trying to get it to work with windows 7 please help.

thanks, adam
baldrick

Post by baldrick »

Bernie_of_CPE wrote:Hi Guys,

While we are on the subject of software a few of my customers use Powerpoint to make illustrations. Anyone suggest the easiest way to import as cutting files?
Just a thought but have you tried "print screen", then you can easily paste the image into any program you choose for manipulation?

(To copy/capture the current window, hold down ALT + Print Scrn at the same time. To capture the entire screen, just press Print Scrn. The image is automatically saved on the clipboard)

I use "vector magic" for conversion, by far the best solution I have tried. http://vectormagic.com/home

Hope this helps
Jim
baldrick

Post by baldrick »

titimadam wrote:hi bob,

im trying to get the driver to work on windows 7.. ive gone into the device manager and selected the driver and gone to properties but i cant see how you can change it to make it run in xp. do you know how to do it??

im having a nightmare trying to get it to work with windows 7 please help.

thanks, adam
Adam, I don't think you need to go into the device manager to run in compatability mode, see this below;

1. Right click on the program's shortcut, .exe file, or installation program.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: If the Compatiblity options are grayed out, then it is a 64 bit program and cannot be changed.

For more information try googling "How to Run a Program in Compatibility Mode in Windows 7"

Hope this helps

Jim
titimadam

Post by titimadam »

hi jim,

thanks but i have tried that already, with no luck, basically when im trying to install the drivers and the lasercut5.1 the programs are saying they are installed then windows 7 says the installation was not complete, when u go to the device manager it says that it could not find the digital signature.

so when i try to open lasercut5.1 it asks to "plug in softdog" and wont open. even though everything is plugged in (dongle and laser).

i feel like im missing something, all im told to do it plug in laser cutter and dongle, run mpc651drv.exe click setup, then run setup.exe click on lasercut5 and finish.. and thats after i changed the program capability mode to windows xp.

im lost!
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Hi It seems only professional versions of windows 7 allow you to run as xp drivers is this correct ?
Thanks Chris
huwdp

Post by huwdp »

I followed the advise about XP compatibility, but found that I also had to let windows search for new drivers online in order to get the programme to work. About two hours later, with help from a year 11 engineering pupil we got it running. Relinking the machine after install also helped !!!!
Great forum for info thanks
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Hi Done a windows 7 install again on 32 bit.
All installed as expected then it wouldent open the software.
In search type "compatability mode"
This brings up a wizard it then asks which programs you wish to run as compatible,
select lasercut , follow this and hey presto all was well.... :D