Pewter Casting

Moderators: HPC, Daven

mwillis

Pewter Casting

Post by mwillis »

I'm toying with making petwer casting moulds on the laser this year. Has anyone discovered a cheap material to laser engrave. In the past we cnc machined Jellutong, which lasers ok, but expensive. Our 60w can :geek: cut deep enough into MDF...but is that OK for the laser???? ...any other tips anyone please?!
bob

Re: Pewter Casting

Post by bob »

Hi Mike,
Mdf can be used well on lasers our 60 watt cuts 6mm and leaves a good finish. Try looking for mdf that feels furry on the edge this cuts easier as it has less "resin" and more fibres try Hindleys in sheffield they sell a low voc or laserable one.
If youre moulding pewter Brockworth school were using hardboard as a sandwich piece when casting broaches lasered out.
Aparrently you can laser into pewter but I am not sure :?:
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Hi Bob
This is correct I would look at acrylic as an option as Pewter when it moulds moulds quickly and cools fast it depends on the amount of metal involved
Good luck
Bernie_of_CPE

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

Hi Guys,

I would look at the silicone mould making materials from Alec Tiranti Ltd. I cast white metal alloys including Pewter into a cold curing rubber compounds. This is how a lot of white metal figures are made so it very much depends what you need to make. There are centrifugal systems, they sell a decent one for under £1000. I would be tempted to laser cut the master template and cast in silicone.
Best regards.

Bernie_of_CPE (Custom Product Engineering)
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Lasering onto pewter ..
We tried it today at a school in huddersfield and sorry a cut line on high power is the best we could get .
Thermark works well dut I expected better with the low melting point
Help anyone ????
:? :?