20mm acrylic spec

Moderators: HPC, Daven

AlanR

20mm acrylic spec

Post by AlanR »

Hi All
this is all new to me, venturing into the laser engraving and cutting world, 15 years a 3d modeller, illustration degree, so think I have the artistic ability, just reading up on the hardware. I have one question up to now, that hopefully one of you veterans can answer me.
I see on many machines the spec states can cut up to 10,15,20mm acrylic, is acrylic regarded as a benchmark as far as material is concerned, ie if it can cut 20mm acrylic,will it be able to do that with wood, hardwood in particular
thanks in advance
cheers
Alan
Daven

Re: 20mm acrylic spec

Post by Daven »

Simple answer - no, cutting hardwoods requires more power than acrylic, better air assist and extraction. Some hardwood will be worse than others. Walnut and oak, for example, tend to cut worse due to the oil/tannin content in the wood. As the laser ablates the carbon and smoke weakens the beam (hence the need for better air assist).

You would be restricted to the power of the tube if you wanted to engrave and cut thick materials or you will need to look at dual tube machines.

I would suggest having a chat with Chris at HPC or going to a Friday demo to see a machine in action.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Tom

Post by Tom »

Daven wrote:Simple answer - no, cutting hardwoods requires more power than acrylic, better air assist and extraction. Some hardwood will be worse than others. Walnut and oak, for example, tend to cut worse due to the oil/tannin content in the wood. As the laser ablates the carbon and smoke weakens the beam (hence the need for better air assist).

You would be restricted to the power of the tube if you wanted to engrave and cut thick materials or you will need to look at dual tube machines.

I would suggest having a chat with Chris at HPC or going to a Friday demo to see a machine in action.

Best
Dave

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Alan
For thick woods i'd be looking at a router
AlanR

Post by AlanR »

HI
Many thanks for the replies, its not so much cutting im looking at, more etching/engraving, I guess the reason for manufacturers stating what thickness acrylic it can cut is that that is a very common material,
Tom, have a router, and looked at CNC, edging toward a laser as I have other uses for it as well, CNC is on the list, just a bit further down the line. I guess the main use I see for myself is 2d releif engravings/etchings in various wood types,
I will do some more research, and will look at visiting HPC
many Thanks
Alan
TimBobTastic

Post by TimBobTastic »

I engrave oak, beech, maple, pine and yew on my LS3060... and my customers love the results... I have also cut oak, but only 3-4mm thick and 6mm pine....

I would add to the recommendation to visit HPC, especially if you are local, they offer great service and advice....
LS3060 PLUS with a 60w tube, Chiller and Bofa filter :-)
Online Store http://www.t2kreations.co.uk
Personal Website... http://www.timbobtastic.com
AlanR

Post by AlanR »

thanks for the information tim, nice work :)
cheers