LS3040 not cutting through every time

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Littleacorns123

LS3040 not cutting through every time

Post by Littleacorns123 »

Hello! I’ve recently bought a used LS3040 and have been setting it up. I think I have aligned all the mirrors correctly now. Today I started to trial cutting some files on 3mm plywood. I followed the guide for recommended settings and got a decent cut on a file at speed 8 with power at 98. I then tried a similar file on the same material at the same speed and power and it didn’t cut through. Any ideas why?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :)
Daven

Re: LS3040 not cutting through every time

Post by Daven »

Could be one of a number of things to be honest.
The speed you should be getting is around 25 at power of 60-65 at least if it is 60 watt a bit less on 40 watt

Is it laser quality ply?
Is the water pump working ok? Tube could be overheating
Could be signs of the tube failing - how old is it?
Is air assist ok? if not the lens and last mirror could be dirty
Is extraction ok?

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Littleacorns123

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m a little confused about the speed though - the recommended speed for 3mm ply is 7-15 according to the manual, am I doing that right?

The ply is good quality, the machine is 2.5 years old. I think the pump and extraction are ok. The mirror and lens could be dirty I guess. Sorry - what’s the difference between air assist and extraction?
Daven

Post by Daven »

7-15 is minimum for a 40w - I have 60w and cut 3mm at 24/65. Sometime too much power can choke the cutting.

air assist is the silver pump that blows air out of the nozzle. Extract is the fan that suxk the smoke out the machine.

Test the beam is also coming out of the nozzle near the middle of the nozzle - put a bit of tape over the nozzle and text fire - do that in each corner of the bed.

2.5 years is a good age for a tube so it could be the tube is on its way out if everything else is ok.

It maybe worth booking a service call with HPC to be honest.

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Littleacorns123

Thanks that’s all really helpful.

Just had another go and a closer look and it’s cutting through the top half of a file but not going all the way through the bottom half.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Daven

Post by Daven »

Check bed is level - use ruler in each corner.
If not check mirrors again ;)
Best
Dave