Fumes

Moderators: HPC, Daven

johnb80

Fumes

Post by johnb80 »

Has anyone got any solutions to acrylic fumes ? I know that carbon filter systems exist but I wonder what the running costs are like i.e. how often the filters need changing and how much they cost. I'm having 'neighbour' difficulties at the moment and he's going to complain to the council on Monday. I have only been running my machine when the wind direction is favourable and usually at night when he's asleep, but he is a born whinger so I have to do something aboiut it. So, filters or relocate?

The majority of my work is acrylic and my laser can be running for 6 hours plus.

J
Spooky

Re: Fumes

Post by Spooky »

Hiya John,

It depends on where you are / PP / CU you have in place?

Bofa fume filters are the way to go but their filter life will depend on how many linear inches / cm of material you cut at what power.It's not really possible to give an exact (or even close) figure as to the filter cartridge life. The best way to be honest is to find a user here who is using one or contact Bofa direct from their website and ask.

If all your other paperwork is in order (consent for industrial use etc) then a good Bofa unit will solve the problem, if it isn't, a filter unit will be an expensive waste of time.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Daven

Post by Daven »

Smith & Wesson may be another option but does have a drawback if you get caught :lol:

Could you vent up and over the roof line if the Bofa is not an option?

Dave2 ;)
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
StarLoc Adhesives

Post by StarLoc Adhesives »

Its unlikely that the level of fumes will be taken seriously by the council if your running from home, just say its a hobby and you only cut every now and then , they dont care much then ( if they turn up dont cut while they are there! )

You could put the fume tube into a bucket of water, the fumes will dissolve into the water
Manufacturer of quality UK made adhesives since 1992 http://www.shop4glue.com and balsa model aircraft kits since 1988 http://www.FMKmodels.com

HPC hx3040
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Depends where they are Star, round here that level of fumes even from a private residence will get a control order in the post within days.

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
johnb80

Post by johnb80 »

Thanks guys.

I've been taking care with wind direction to make sure he doesn't have any furtehr cause for complaint, I have cut some balsa today even though the wind was taking the smoke his way, I figure taht I could easily have a wood burning stove in my garage. This guy is a pro whinger for sure, he complained when they moved in 2 years ago that our neighbours cat was fighting with theirs, what the hell do you do about that? did he expect my neighbour to sit their cat down and give it a good talking to?

I have been mulling over two solutions...
1) To make a filter box containing activated charcoal and see if it reduces the smell, I'm told it will but I'm unsure of how much it will cost to run.
2) I have just been to look at a nice industrial type unit in a farmers yard, £1200 per year cash, no problem with fumes, leccy supplied. The real plus point here is it would give me somewhere to store my caravan inside, I currently pay £350 pery year caravan storage so it looks almost a no brainer, £850 per year more, I get a huge workshop thats dry with my caravan providing me with office space, I could also store my van there freeing up space at home.

I have tried calling Purex today I will try Bofa tomorrow, if the running costs are half sensible then I'll go the filter route, if not, I'll relocate.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

J
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

John,

Go with the relocation mate :) that's a nice price

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
johnb80

Post by johnb80 »

The rep from Purex came to see us today, with our current operation the filter unit was £2000+ replacement bag filter £190 per pair (1 pair per year) and the replacement chemical filter (activated charcoal) £260 each (3 per year). So the running costs for the filters £18.65 per week.

Has anyone else attempted to make their own filter system?

J
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Wooooooooooaaaaaaaaa that's high prices John, have a look at the Bofa ones Chris does.

My late father used to design filter units for the Military at Porton Down Research Establishment, sadly he passed away last year so I can't ask for his help.

Mandy on here bought one last year from Chris due to the same kind of neighbours, stick a post up or PM her I'm sure she will know a bit about them by now.

This was her original thread,

phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101

hope that helps

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
johnb80

Post by johnb80 »

Well guys & Gals, we managed to find a Purex filter from an ebay seller, £300 with a new filter in it. These units don't require an outside vent, they simply vent into the workspace. I must admit to being sceptical about it. Today I ran the unit whilst doing some very heavy Acrylic engraving and cutting a much to my amazement, not a whiff of cut Acrylic anywhere, the extraction fan is extremely powerful and moves an enormous amount of air whjich does have a dramatic positive effect on the finished product. I intend to repack the filter myself when the carbon is contaminated.

Thanks for all of your help and advice - J