not cutting very deep

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Kris and Dave

not cutting very deep

Post by Kris and Dave »

Hi,

We've just taken collection of an LS 6040 cutter and out initial joy has been somewhat dampened by the fact we don't seem to be able to make any cuts deeper than about 0.8mm. We've managed that in 1mm HIPS by using 98% power at speed 12 which just about cuts deep enough to pop the results out but it's far from a neat cut and we wanted to cut thicker materials (I understand we should be able to cut 8mm acrylic) but if I try to slow the speed down further I end up with a series of smal fires :shock: I'm guessing it's something I'm doing wrong focus maybe (I have set the software to cut rather then engrave)

Has anyone any ideas/tips?

Thanks

Kris (& Dave)
Daven

Re: not cutting very deep

Post by Daven »

Dave (Spooky) will be along soon, he will help but it sounds like something is wrong somewhere. Either focus or another setting. My 3020 will cut 10mm acrylic so you should be ok with the 6040 ;-)

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

As said, definatly sounds like a problem. I cut 3mm acrylic at 75% power on my 3020 (40w tube) at 11mm/s with no issues. I would also avoid going so high on the power, better to run it slightly slower for longer as you get better life out of the tube. Whats the water temps like? Can you check a quick alignment on the main focuser by placing a piece of tape over the aperature before it gets to the final 45 degree mirror and firing the laser briefly. Should be instructions how to do this in the manual. Did you get a demonstration, or was it delivered straight to you?
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Off the top of my head I noted you said "not very neat" about the cut? Beam scatter? suggesting alignment possibly? Can you post a picture of the cut line Kris?

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Kris and Dave

Post by Kris and Dave »

Thank you for the responses, it's very reassuring to see that it would appear to be a setup issue rather than unrealistic expectations :) and that we can get such good help from this forum. 8-)

I've checked that the laser goes throughthe final hole before the 45 degree mirror and it does, however it is not entirely central and rather than the expected dot it burned an oval about 1/2 mm by 1 1/2 mm, I don't know if this is an issue or not.

Does anyone know of any guides available for making the adjustments to focus the beam, we (foolishly) didn't get a demonstration and the instructions are somewhat brief.

I'll check the water temperature. Does anyone have any good tips for keeping the water cool? we've currently got is in a reservoir made from a plastic rentacrate.

In answer to the other question, I'm not going to be in the office again for a few days so can't get an image but if I can describe; rather than the expected parallel sided cut we are getting a U shaped valley with the edges slightly raised

Something like this:
---------------^\_/^------------------

Kris (& Dave)
StarLoc Adhesives

Post by StarLoc Adhesives »

Theres some info on lining the mirrors up here

http://www.laserscript.co.uk/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=8&t=88

To keep the water cool without a water cooler, i use ice cubes floating in the water tank, recently as ive been cutting a lot more and the weathers hotter im freezing ice cream tubs of water about 3 inch deep, i drop the giant ice cube in the water to defrost to keep the water cool

If you have burned anything with the laser , try carefully cleaning the mirrors and lens with isopropanol ( isopropyl alcohol ) , the mirrors soot up even if you cant see it and you loose power
Manufacturer of quality UK made adhesives since 1992 http://www.shop4glue.com and balsa model aircraft kits since 1988 http://www.FMKmodels.com

HPC hx3040
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Gimme an hour or so Kris, I'll see if I can come up with a decent tutorial ;)

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Kris and Dave

Post by Kris and Dave »

This could possibly be the friendliest forum on the Internet 8-)

Next time I am in the office I will go though all the cleaning and realigning mentioned in the other posts but I have one more (hopefully easy) question for the time being:

Approximately how far below the physical laser hardware should the top of the material to be cut be? The plastic we're cutting seems a long way away and the bed can't be raised very close. Should I put something underneath to lift it up (yes I know, that's two questions)

Kris (& Dave)
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

The distance is important due to the way the last lens focuses the beam. There are pics somewhere, but essentially, the right distance will have the lens focusing to a tight point at the material top. Im certain there should be a thing in the manual for it.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
johnb80

Post by johnb80 »

We experienced quite a few problems with our 6040, the 2nd mirror mount was in the wrong place which made it impossiblke to get correct beam alignment. Once that was sorted out we operated for quite some time suffering with angled cuts, I finally lost my cool with it and got determined one Saturday morning. I worked my way through the whole maching a found it was inpossible to get the beam to hit the lens in the middle, it was always off to the righ hand side. Finally I twigged, raise the laser tube, I raised it by 5mm or so, now the laser doesn't hit the mirrors in the dead centre but it does hit the lens bang on. Result, better cutting (faster with less power) and no angled cuts.

Double check mirror adjustments etc.

J