Laser paper and card

Moderators: HPC, Daven

LRPStore

Laser paper and card

Post by LRPStore »

Hi guys,

I need to find a decent card and paper supplier - with a meterial that cuts well with the cutter, the card I had lying about here ends up with the brown smudge around the card even at very low temps (10)

I know that card with a high chalk content is to be avoided but I'd like to know where everyone else gets the stuff from as I couldnt see it listed in the excellent resources list elsewhere on the thread

Many Thanks

Andy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy Coley - LARP Tech Laser - 01243 772210
Chichester, West Sussex http://www.larptechlaser.co.uk

LS2012 Laser Cutter (1200mm x 2000mm) 150W laser
Spooky

Re: Laser paper and card

Post by Spooky »

More air Andy, the smudge is re-deposited carbon or oils from the card rather than actual burning. 10% power on a 150watt tube is way too high to be honest unless your running at 300+MM's per second.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
LRPStore

Post by LRPStore »

Thanks thats why I was asking if the item was a % as when I put it to 5 it's not really making a mark on the card 10 only burns into the top layer of the card (at a speed of 60).

A light burn into the card was all I was after by the way. I can put application tape over the top but thats very faffy and a single process would be great!

Sorry newbie questions I know!

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

More air then Andy :) Don't worry about questions :) that's why we are all here (I've asked Chris some pretty daft one's believe me)

Do you have a source of air available (Compressor etc?)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
LRPStore

Post by LRPStore »

We have the compressor that Chris brought down with the machine install but we reckon we might need a meater one for the nearer card jobs

Hailea 250 Ltr Piston Air Pump
Model ACO 380 0.04Mpa. (5.8 psi) Oil free piston air pump from Hailea

This is the one hooked up to the unit, for speed is there a better one anyone would recommend?

We now have a steel perforated sheet as our card base so we dont need to sorry about the air blowing the card about through the grid - something adjustable would be good I'm guessing.

We had an airbrush compressor in the workshop, but this was much more efective as the pressure never built up enough in the tank

So something nice and meaty and adjustable would be great. Noise etc doesnt matter just needs to work

Andy

LRPStore

Post by LRPStore »

LRPStore wrote:Hi guys,

I need to find a decent card and paper supplier - with a meterial that cuts well with the cutter, the card I had lying about here ends up with the brown smudge around the card even at very low temps (10)

I know that card with a high chalk content is to be avoided but I'd like to know where everyone else gets the stuff from as I couldnt see it listed in the excellent resources list elsewhere on the thread

Many Thanks

Andy
Card wise we found these guys helpful http://www.modelshop.co.uk/category/Raw ... ard,l.html then list laser cutting on their site, and do their own tempaltes in Oiled manilla but these sheets were too small so we went for thinner white card. We needed sheets sizes similar to our leather sheets for the templating.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I need more air too, I just spoke with Chris about compressors; he recommended looking for one on eBay and specifically suggested Hailea ACO-380

Otherwise I know Dave has got a really nice compressor from Machine mart, but they are another investment.
LRPStore

Post by LRPStore »

Mike wrote:I need more air too, I just spoke with Chris about compressors; he recommended looking for one on eBay and specifically suggested Hailea ACO-380

Otherwise I know Dave has got a really nice compressor from Machine mart, but they are another investment.
Before you rush off and get one, let me know and I might have our one for sale soon!

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

I have as well, a 9CFM 100 litre twin piston type (belt drive) Delivers loads of air but runs at 73 DBa (not as loud as the direct drive types @ 90+ DBa but still not good in a built up area) Does the job really well and allows 2 bar pressure (<30 psi) and leaves almost no scorching on anything I cut. Only ran it for a couple of hours due to the noise annoying me, constant rated motor @ 2HP and a tank pressure capacity of 150 PSI. Circa £400 new.

In the end I opted for a Clarke SHHH 7/100, 7 CFM with a 100 litre tank BUT very quiet at under 44 DBa (A tiny bit over the noise from a household refrigerator) downside is COST £1400 inc VAT and delivery :(

Air supply seems to be the god of laser cutting, good air increases both speed and accuracy from what I've been doing.It has become apparent you need at least 5CFM displacement to get good results with 3.5 FAD at least.

The Hailea's supply good CFM but very low pressure so they will keep the job clean and your lens clean but won't clear the kerf detritus very well. They do supply clean air though, I had to retrofit an air cleaner to the Piston compressor to remove all traces of oil and dirt (they will soot up your lens in short order) but the investment has been well worth it even buying the SHHH.

Was quite a learning curve getting the compressor right, took some time and cost a bit but was well worth the investment.

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
LRPStore

Post by LRPStore »

Spooky wrote:I have as well, a 9CFM 100 litre twin piston type (belt drive) Delivers loads of air but runs at 73 DBa (not as loud as the direct drive types @ 90+ DBa but still not good in a built up area) Does the job really well and allows 2 bar pressure (<30 psi) and leaves almost no scorching on anything I cut. Only ran it for a couple of hours due to the noise annoying me, constant rated motor @ 2HP and a tank pressure capacity of 150 PSI. Circa £400 new.

In the end I opted for a Clarke SHHH 7/100, 7 CFM with a 100 litre tank BUT very quiet at under 44 DBa (A tiny bit over the noise from a household refrigerator) downside is COST £1400 inc VAT and delivery :(

Air supply seems to be the god of laser cutting, good air increases both speed and accuracy from what I've been doing.It has become apparent you need at least 5CFM displacement to get good results with 3.5 FAD at least.

The Hailea's supply good CFM but very low pressure so they will keep the job clean and your lens clean but won't clear the kerf detritus very well. They do supply clean air though, I had to retrofit an air cleaner to the Piston compressor to remove all traces of oil and dirt (they will soot up your lens in short order) but the investment has been well worth it even buying the SHHH.

Was quite a learning curve getting the compressor right, took some time and cost a bit but was well worth the investment.

best wishes

Dave
Thanks Dave - as the compressor is only on with the machine and extraction and we're on a farm we're not too worried about the noise - the whole unit is noisy when we have both extractors running anyway.

PM me with a price for the top compressor with the retrofit unit if u want to get it out of the corner and get some cash for it!

I can then recycle our unit on :)