6090 New install

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Bernie_of_CPE

6090 New install

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

Hi Chris,

Arrived home with the new machine without any dramas, all I have had a chance to do since Sunday is review the manuals you gave me and charge my old laptop ready to install the software :D

In discussion with others and the possibilities it opens up for in house production we are looking at laser cutting a product called Chemiwood. This material is used widely in pattern making and is very similar to a board made from Isopon body filler. Does anyone happen to know if there are any issues related to cutting this material? Indeed, has anyone tried to cut fibreglass or similar material? :|

Any advise would be welcomed

Bernie.
Best regards.

Bernie_of_CPE (Custom Product Engineering)
HPCLaser

Re: 6090 New install

Post by HPCLaser »

Hi I have tried fiberglass and carbon fiber The resin does not seem to be a problem but the more fibers the more the problem carbon fiber especially.
The body filler type material shouldent be a problem as it does not have the matting in it (this tends to stay and flop about and needs cutting with a knife) the paper based srbp materials will cut especially the thin stuff but it STINKS!!
Hope this helps glad to see you on board.Some of our loyal followers are out there Thanks Chris
Bernie_of_CPE

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply ref cutting fibre glass, perhaps I will give it a miss. :?

I am very interested in the material you mentioned when I collected my machine, as used by Yorkshire Models I think. You showed me a window frame with brick section on a wooden plaque if you remember? :)

Can you let me know what material that was as I am organising a job soon that will require assembly by the customer. They are based in the traditional model kit market. I am very keen to cut this job with no bead, so standard styrene is out.

Thanks and regards.

Bernie
Best regards.

HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Hi Bernie I will call Chris at york models monday and let you know.
Chris
Bernie_of_CPE

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

Hi Guys,

It has been amazing busy since we brought our new machine to the workshop. I started this thread with the good intentions of logging any issues and how we dealt with them whilst commissioning this machine. I guess I will back track and share some of the problems from the beginning:

We unloaded the machine and of course the first worry was any damage especially to the sensitive mechanics, alignment or tube. Chris had kindly uncrated the machine but left the pallet in place so he could forklift load into the back of our van.

Point One. If you are collecting one of these machines be sure that the distance between the wheel box arches is sufficient to allow the pallet between them, Chris advised me the std wheelbase transit I had was good to go and he was right with 8 inches to spare. Chris was kind enough to offer some spare sheets of polystyrene packaging to brace the machine and we were done.

After we had unloaded and removed the machine from the pallet, I walked right around it to check for damage after it's 200 mile journey, all was well, not even a scratch. Then I turned to all the bits and bobs located in bags in a side compartment that Chris had indicated when he demonstrated the machine at his unit/showroom. There was a bag of cd's and a user manual, another bag of nuts and bolts, a box containing the air pump, the aquarium type powerhead water pump and the extraction unit. under the lid Chris had kindly given me an extra length or two of large blue hoses as we had a little distance from the machine to the outside vent to deal with the fume extraction. I lifted the lid to be sure the laser tube was undamaged and it was in one piece. We couldn't test anything electrical at this stage until at least the cooling system was running.

Point Two, With hindsight it may have been better to have removed the tube from the machine completely for transit. I realise this would have meant aligning the tube and optics again during set up but on balance I winched at every sleeping policeman and cursed the general state of British roads all the way home. :evil:

First problem - The cooling system requires two things not supplied, one a tank and the second distilled water. Because every machine install is different and every working situation is also different it would be impossible for HPC to supply these items as standard equipment.

The Resolution:
This machine was going to be used on and off during the day, we don't need a production machine as such (never say never though) and I will be buying a chiller unit at some stage but budget didn't allow this right now. Chris had told me that the tank was important as it needed to be big enough to act as a heat exchanger as well as a actual container so the bigger the better. I used a 60 litre fish tank complete with a hood and light, not so big as to take too much room, but a big enough volume of water to do the job. Another advantage was being able to see the level before each days work and top up if needed. One of my colleagues suggested adding anti-freeze to the water to prevent it turning to ice and cracking the laser tube, it seemed like a good idea but I was uncertain. So a quick call to Chris confirmed it was actually a bad idea as it would interfere with the laser generation due to the change of colour, he did suggest using pure glycol which I will try to find from a local supplier. Until then I will add an aquarium heater and will leave the pump running during colder weather if needed. The water pump had no instructions that I could find and it seemed to only have an outlet tube, this meant I had left something behind or the whole pump could be submerged in the tank. I looked at the mains lead (water and main electricity) and decided to check with the manufacturer on the internet, sure enough it was submersible model so in it went. I seemed to remember afterwards that Chris had this pump in a bucket for the demonstration, amazing what details can be forgotten in all the excitement! I asked around local chemists to price up and arrange supply of a large amount of distilled water and was shocked at how expensive it was. I remembered my local aquarium shop selling something called RO water, basically this is water which has almost all impurities removed by passing it through several layers of semi- permeable membranes each finer than the last to remove all chemicals and hard water solids, at £3.85 per 25 litres it was just the ticket.

Once the plumbing was sorted, I started up the pump and we checked for any leaks or trapped air in the tube. Charlotte had recommended leaving the system to run for 15 minutes prior to using the laser. We did this and the system had a good throughput with no bubbles I could see. Another plus to using a fish tank, you can see the output hose to be sure all is well. Then came the moment we turned the power on the the machine itself. I had a few sets of keys for the locks around the machine so it took me a few mins while I found one that operated the interlock and actually provided power, everything seemed fine. I found some scrap Perspex noted that the last test job Chris had run was still in memory, hit the test button to check material position and then started the job. In just a minute I had a new 41 mm acrylic square complete with it's dimension engraved on the face. This is a tool to set the laser focus height and Chris had given me a couple but a spare was always going to be handy so a double bonus.

Whist one of my colleagues installed the software onto the laptop I decided to look over the users manual. I have to say it is the most polite manual I have ever read but either made leaps I didn't understand or was a bit thin on detail to a novice like myself.

We have an unusual set up as we primarily use Apple Mac equipment in the office, I would say that none of us had much CAD experience either. We managed to get the Laser to respond to it's own keypad but couldn't seem to send a job to it via the software. This really did hold things up for an hour until I noticed that not all the screen option were visible on my laptop screen, some scrolling to the right revealed other controls - AHA!! Some fiddling around and a few practical experiments soon brought results and I studied the manual further. I drew some simple shapes and we spent the next hour just turning good material into assorted shapes as test jobs, in other words playing...! So we had the thing running and could cut to a resonable degree simple shapes. Everything else would have to wait until the next day as we were out of time. I did feel pleased that everything seemed in order and relieved nothing was broken or problematic.

The next day, we decided to examine the software in detail to be sure we had at least a grip on the concepts of sending a job to the laser for cutting. I was confident, but using the software on the laptop was not ideal so we decided to reinstate an old PC we had and loaded the software onto that. This was easier and we could make more complex jobs and more of them. The software included a few very handy features such as instant zoom to the table dimension, good to check where the laser will be expecting to find the material to cut. There is a short coming here though as there didn't seem to be a way of referencing the material to the table in the same place everytime. It would have been helpful to have included rulers on each side plus a square corners to locate the sheet stock. I will make some and install myself at a later point. I am uncertain how to set a new datum point too but I am still reading and digesting the manual so not a complaint as yet as it may be obvious.

I didn't install the fume extraction as yet, we need to finally site the machine in the workshop. that's the next job, finishing the installation of all the other services and connecting up the rotary unit.

I will continue to post when I can, this was just the first few days and we have had the machine almost two weeks now. I would be pleased to learn how others handled their set up and find someone who is a little more clued up with the software than me, I am a quick learner though so no worries.

Tonight's bedtime reading is the rather thick tome entitled: TurboCAD Pro for MAC V3 :lol:

Bernie (CPE)
Best regards.

Bernie_of_CPE

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

HPCLaser wrote:Hi Bernie I will call Chris at york models monday and let you know.
Chris
Hi Chris, that would be very kind of you - thanks :D

Bernie (CPE)
Best regards.

HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Thanks for the fantastic post you have far better fingers than me !!!
the way of indexing the laser position to the bed is to uncheck the immediate box on the ridght near the download button on the screen, datum the machine then position file on the bed .... download current file then download config (beep). Give it a try.The other option is cut a jig -use clip box it will put a perimeter box around the file area so you can place your panel.
Remember small steps is the best way to start
Thanks again for the post 8-)
Bernie_of_CPE

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

Hi Everyone,

Well a little time has gone by and my new machine and I are settling down as production gets underway. At the moment the water cooling system is still running from the aquarium, it works perfectly so I have stuck with it. My customers are fascinated to see the machine operating with this Dr. Who / Heath Robinson set up, but it's impressive and the results have been tremendous.

A couple of days ago a colleague, Alan Senior, who writes for Marine Models International magazine came to visit to check the machine out and generally play with it. I showed him the software basics and within a few minutes he had cut a nice circle in clear 3 mm acrylic. He was totally impressed with the polished edge left by the process and we then went on to test several other materials.

The model boat and experimental model guys use a material called Depron. This is a closed cell material and he provided a few samples for us to experiment with. I had tried to cut 25 mm polystyrene sheet once before, the face side looked ok, but the back side of the cut was horrible. I decided to stay with hot wire for that, so I wasn't expecting great things. However, Depron was a different matter entirely, being thinner helped, turning the laser down to 12 % and keeping the speed up produced an almost perfectly uniform cut.

Prototyping various models and test equipment using Depron and even building electric flying models as complete assemblies he was very experienced with the material. The smile on his face told me he was impressed with the finished result, we cut a 50 mm diameter ring just 2 mm wide. He couldn't stop turning it over and around and enthused at the uniformity and perfection of a part that really couldn't be made any other way. We talked for 4 hours about the possibilities this technology could bring to kit manufacturers and designers. We then logged onto the HPC website where I briefly took him through the different laser machine models and explained why I chose the machine I had bought, all the while he was making notes.

I then ran a series of hole tests in both Acrylic and Depron, making several holes from 10 mm down to 2 mm. Out came the digital calipers, on went my glasses and we assessed the results. The hole were perfect, deformation of the material was almost non-existent and the plugs of material proved interesting too, Alan was impressed with a 2 mm acrylic plug, I removed it from the hole I had cut with the tip of a pencil. It was perfecly formed and totally transparant, he was also very impressed with the software even down to the Chinese way of spelling things. :roll:

The magazine he writes for is published by Traplet who have a laser cutting machine in their office, a 30 watt machine (make unknown), with which they have had disappointing results. They have tried to cut styrene with the usual bead raising issue. He also told me that they have had problems gluing edges after cutting due to the cut being work hardened and the solvent not able to penetrate this effectively. This is news to me, so if anyone has come across this problem please enlighten me. I did tell him that Chris was going to call a contact at York Models as he uses a material with styrene properties that doesn't raise a cut bead. As soon as Chris tells me what material this is I can test it and let him know.

He is very keen to design a model as a project in the magazine and offer this as a kit to readers, cut on my machine of course !! If he has any further technical queries or wants to see a desktop machine in action I arrange a visit with Chris. I am sure as the price comes down and becomes more attractive to the home model builder, that we will see more clubs buying their own machines to offer to members. Model engineering clubs and woodworking clubs could also be interested.

So, exciting days ahead, the possibility of more work and new challenges, it's been a good week so far and it's only Tuesday !! :D

Regards.

Bernie - CPE (Custom Product Engineering)
Best regards.

David

Re: cutting foam

Post by David »

We've have some success with depron models, as profile models, box structures, and combining depron with vac formed parts for compound curved surfaces (photo shows some examples, used in a school club flying round-the-pole)

Regarding the usual bead raising issue: try high speed / low power multiple cuts. I've used speed 100 / power 10 with white polystyrene foam, gaining 1 to 1.5 mm depth of cut per pass (duplicating the lines in situ saves hitting 'Begin' each time) Up to 25mm thick with only slight tapering is possible, although each piece of foam seems different to the previous one: a strong arguement for trial cuts on an unwanted corner before starting for real!

Hope this is of use

David
Attachments
depron rtp.jpg
profile model, sport scale Extra, and the inevitable little Fokker
(85.68 KiB) Downloaded 2323 times
HPCLaser

Post by HPCLaser »

Hi david you can adjust the "Qty Del " on the screen this just repeats and repeats the number of times you set it -carefull to reset it afterwards
Cool planes I have had several requests for depron but with fast cuts and high power get massive tapers but I wish I had more time to play!!! ;)