LS3040 X axis jammed

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Flash

LS3040 X axis jammed

Post by Flash »

Hi
I fired up the Laser for the first time a couple of days ago and have been getting to grips very slowly with the machine and software, I'm a complete novice so I have just been doing basic things like circles and text etc.
I was cutting some letters out on some cardboard today and watching the laser do its thing (not to sure i'm ever going to get bored of that!) when the head stopped moving whilst still firing the laser, it definately sounded like it wanted to move but was struggling to do so so obviously I stopped the process.
I pressed the 'datum' button which is set as standard (top left), it moved to the left but couldn't move up, although it moved a cm or two I stopped it again as the jamming sound it made didn't sound that healthy.
I've checked the teeth on the X axis belt and all are fine (after all it is brand new!),

Is there anyone that can give me any advice?, I will be ringing HPC on monday but though i'd ask here first

Cheers
John
LS3040 Pro, Lasercut 5.3
SimonMallas

Re: LS3040 X axis jammed

Post by SimonMallas »

Hi John,
With the machine turned off can you move the head freely?
Cheers Simon
Flash

Post by Flash »

Hi Simon
Yes, I can move the head freely, its not the smoothest motion but i noticed that right from the start that it seemed to move better when powered rather than moving it by hand,

cheers
John
LS3040 Pro, Lasercut 5.3
endcan

Post by endcan »

Hi Check under the guide rails when I got our latest one we had a similar problem and ot was masking tape .... use wd40 this clears it.
What speed ? sometimes this can cause problems?
belt tension - should have 3-4mm movement can move in transit. ;)
Personalised bike bitz,Metal marking,adhesive decals
Flash

Post by Flash »

endcan wrote:Hi Check under the guide rails when I got our latest one we had a similar problem and ot was masking tape .... use wd40 this clears it.
What speed ? sometimes this can cause problems?
belt tension - should have 3-4mm movement can move in transit. ;)
Hi
where exactly do you mean on the guide rails?, I have no problem moving left and right (as you stand in front of the machine), its the moving up and down which is the issue (i imagine this sounds stupid, however 'very amature' status is where i am at!) the only points i can see that move the 'X' axis are covered by a belt of which i can see no problem, the speed I was using at the time was 200, although I have used 350.
I apologise for sounding 'Thick'! but how would i measure the 3-4mm movement in the belt? (by which i mean at what point on the belt would i measure this?)

I appreciate the help guys!, just bare with me!
Will be back with the laser tomorrow so will try and give a better descirption then

Cheers
John
LS3040 Pro, Lasercut 5.3
SimonMallas

Post by SimonMallas »

Morning John,
Just to clarify, you where cutting at a speed of 200? So the laser head can be moved manually front to back with the power off, but not as freely as left to right. Does it stick at any specific place? Just have a good look and feel along the gantry ( the arm which the laser head travels front to back on ) where the little wheels run and underneath for any obstructions or tape residue.
Cheers Simon
Flash

Post by Flash »

Hi Simon

Left to right is working fine, it was an issue with the front to back,
I checked the belt and for any obstructions on the rail and fortunately there was nothing there, what i did notice was when i used the keypad on the machine to try and move the head that it would move (front to back) slowly for the first few seconds and then when the speed picked up this is when it would stop all together, this and your last post got me thinking about lubricating the nylon wheels so after a trip to BnQ i lubed everything up and now it seems ok.
I guess this is my first school boy error using the machine....Lube is king!

I am a very relieved lad! and many thanks for helping me out

I have no doubt i'll be back at some point :D

(oh and you have a good point about the speed, I wasn't cutting at 200!, I was using that speed to mark out some circles and with me all in a fluster yesterday I got my info wrong :roll: )

Cheers
John
LS3040 Pro, Lasercut 5.3
Flash

Post by Flash »

Hello again

Well I started do some tests, basically the word 'Test' onto a peice of paper, using 200 speed and 15 power,
It did the first word ok, then the second ok, then on the third it stopped again and was unable to move from front to back.

I have looked at the belt and when the laser head stops so does the motor driving the belt so its not slipping, i've also had a mirror on the bed so i can get a good look underneath where the belt is and its all clear.

back to square 1 again!....

Cheers
John
LS3040 Pro, Lasercut 5.3
Flash

Post by Flash »

I have took a short video of it doing this but I can't post it on here as the file extension is not allowed, but if it helps anyone to help me i will email it to them

John
LS3040 Pro, Lasercut 5.3
SimonMallas

Post by SimonMallas »

Hi John,
I think the problems the speed. Your cutting way too fast for the machine. You do need to be a little bit canny on delicate materials. Its more the intricacy of the drawing that will influence the speed. Simple drawings / shapes you can speed things up 40s 50s but complexed intricate drawing slower. It's all about getting the right balance. There my be a slim chance that the belt may have loosened, just keep your eye on your results, sloping engraving, oval circals. If so give us a call and we'll talk you through torquing then back.
Cheers Simon