Gluing Acrylic

Moderators: HPC, Daven

DavidJHolmes

Gluing Acrylic

Post by DavidJHolmes »

Anyone any ideas what glue is best for acrylic? I've made some of those 3D puzzle models, and although the pieces are a little loose they should normally glue up fine but I can't find anything to stick them together. I've tried the glue from StarLoc Adhesives and it failed, tried super glue and it had mixed results but fogged all the plastic, multipurpose glue doesn't stick fast enough and seems rather brittle. I'm tearing my hair out now. I've read about solvent welding but the pieces arent snug enough and it was cut on a CNC so the edges are not polished like on the laser.

Ideas?? :(
bobg

Re: Gluing Acrylic

Post by bobg »

I use Plastic Weld obtainable at all good model railway shops and off the Internet. Parts don't need to be brilliant fit. Push parts together and simply paint the joint with a paint brush dipped in Plastic Weld. Capilliary action draws the solvent in and welds them together. If you have large gaps there are equivalents which are like treacle in texture.
Bob
LS3020 used for hobby - making model railway buildings/signals etc.
DavidJHolmes

Post by DavidJHolmes »

I have what I thought was a thick plastic specific glue but it's not working :(
phil2simmons

Post by phil2simmons »

Hi. This might be a bit late for you but I have not been around for a while. You can use a product called Tensol. It has a number afterwards which is either 12 or 24, I will check. This is a fairly thick consistency and may be good where you have gaps. The other product, which is better for close mating parts is Dichloromethane. This is a thin liquid which smells great, not too much sniffing though!!
Phil