doeflax from Wiltshire

Moderators: HPC, Daven

doeflax

doeflax from Wiltshire

Post by doeflax »

a good hello to all forum members :ugeek:
I have seen many seasons, and consider myself to be of the age now where not too many challenges daunt me. However, I have had a seed planted in me re: laser engraving/cutting, and have decided to dive in with both feet !
My goal is to eventually design & produce personalised giftware etc. Working from home, so the business will be designed to be small, with no real plans for expanding. I would be interested in the forums views on which machine/setup would best suit my requirements. I am thinking acrylic, wood, and slate perhaps.
I would prefer to purchase a machine with more capabilities than one with less, and would welcome thoughts from any members. Thanx in advance.
Daven

Re: doeflax from Wiltshire

Post by Daven »

Hi - welcome to the forum ;)

We would need a bit more info really - how much room do you have, would the machine be in the house or an outhouse?

One of the biggest fail points is the ability to create or amend designs in either vector, raster or CAD formats so worth reading up on that as well unless you already have experience ;)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
doeflax

Post by doeflax »

Thanx Dave.
Well, I am in the fortunate position of being able to accommodate a machine either inhouse, or in my outhouse building. My preference would be inhouse, albeit that would be in an upstairs spare room so would incur all the drawbacks associated with that. But still my 1st choice.
I also need to familiarise myself with the associated software, but I am very "pewter savvy" so don't envisage too many hiccups there aside from the normal new user type issues.
As stated in my op, I would much prefer a machine that is mightier than it needs to be. My prime aim is 1) etching on acrylics and slate, maybe wood too but perhaps later in the piece. 2) cutting up to 10mm acrylic shapes
If I haven't offered up any more info, it's probably due to my naivety, 'cause that's where I am right now. So any input from the forum would be readily received.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Ok - from what you are saying you will be looking at a machine with 80watt tube (above that it will not engrave). Cutting 10mm with 80w is not going to be particularly fast but getting a 80w machine upstairs is going to be fun. Also take into account you will need a chiller, fume extraction and possibly a small air compressor.

Have a look here where Dave (Spooky) has posted most of the info you will need.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
doeflax

Post by doeflax »

ok, thanx again Dave. I will enjoy some bedtime reading by the looks of it.
It's probably been said a dozen or more times before, but the knowledgeable info & tips you guys pass over to us newbies is priceless. On behalf of all, may I offer up a big thank you!
I will keep all those who have an interest, updated with my findings too.
Thanx again.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

well your first good decision is looking at HPC :)

cheers

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk